Improvements Before Rental Property Is Placed In Service

4 Replies

Hi.

This summer we bought a condo and renovated it before placing it in service. One of the renovations was a laminate wood floor, which, because it is not permanently attached to the building, is normally only depreciated over 5 years. However, the condo itself is depreciated over 27.5 years. If the condo had already been in service, we would have depreciated the laminate flooring over 5 years, but since we hadn't placed the condo in service before we added the laminate flooring, do we have to group it with the condo itself and depreciate it over 27.5 years?

I have the same question for appliances that we added before placing the condo into service.

Thanks!

@Britt Griscom  I am 99% sure anything doing before placing it into service has to be depreciated over 27.5 years.  But @Steven Hamilton II  would be able to answer for sure.  I also suggest getting this book if you are doing your own taxes 

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Landlords-Tax-Deduction-Guide/dp/1413321143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421641337&sr=8-1&keywords=landlord+tax+deductions

Originally posted by @Britt Griscom :

Hi.

This summer we bought a condo and renovated it before placing it in service. One of the renovations was a laminate wood floor, which, because it is not permanently attached to the building, is normally only depreciated over 5 years. However, the condo itself is depreciated over 27.5 years. If the condo had already been in service, we would have depreciated the laminate flooring over 5 years, but since we hadn't placed the condo in service before we added the laminate flooring, do we have to group it with the condo itself and depreciate it over 27.5 years?

I have the same question for appliances that we added before placing the condo into service.

Thanks!

Yes. Any repairs or improvements made before the unit is put into service must be added to the basis. Please see Publication 527, Residential Rental Property, for more information: 

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

Originally posted by @Britt Griscom :

Hi.

Thanks!

Britt,

You may depreciate it over 5 years instead of the 27.5 if it was done directly before. 

I have just found a product, while on BP, that will replace disposals should one give out.  It is called SemperScreen and it sounds great and has good reviews.  (Note: I don't sell these.)  There are so many times when tenants have put pennies, broken glass, bottle tops, etc. into disposal and it requires either a new disposal and at the least, a service call.  This product would eliminate any disposal-related calls, save on water, alleviate any tenant injuries, and would help keep food out of the lines.  Just thought I would share...I am going to use these on my next disposal call.  Just search YouTube to see how they work.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.