You've acquired your 1st prop, then what??

2 Replies

I've been doing a ton of research in getting rental property. I believe it's the route I will take. Can you all answer a question though: say I have my 1st property (SFR purchased through a HELOC) and I'm profiting $200-$300/month. Then what? Do I start paying off the HELOC? Do I look for the next property? What are my options? Then when you have a few properties what are the best strategies to pay those homes off in the case of financing? Debt Snowball?

A lot will depend on what your plans are.  It might be good to hold for a while and build up cash until you decide what you want to do.  You may find you don't like being a landlord in which case you can sell and move on with your life or go into some other part of real estate investing.

I waiting two years with my first two rentals before expanding last year.  I am at five now and I am using the cash flow after expenses and reserves to purchase more properties because I plan to get at least 15-20 total.  At that point I will probably start paying off any I have loans on.

Very first thing I would do is gather 6 months cash reserves to set aside for vacancies and repairs.  Everything else is a personal preference, depending on your goals and the level of risk you are comfortable with.  You will get many different opinions.  Congrats on taking the first step...joining BP!  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.