Application Scenario, How Do You Handle This?

Application Scenario, How Do You Handle This?

Lender · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 62 votes

Took an application on a SFR from a single person this morning. I tell them I need an application filled out by each adult. Applicant told me it was just her. Facebook shows me she just got married in the last two months. She hasn't lied to me since I didn't ask marital status, but I would be shocked if the husband didn't move in too.

What would BP do?  Ask for the husband to fill out an app?  Deny?  If so, on what grounds?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
11y

If the Facebook info is true, assume she is going to lie to you.  There will be other applicants. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Retired Landlord/Author · Commerce Township, MI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    You said per adult not if you are married, there is the difference.  I would call her and tell her that you saw she has just married is the husband not going to be living with you? And absolutely state that all adults must be on the lease. 

    Nancy Neville

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    If the Facebook info is true, assume she is going to lie to you.  There will be other applicants. 

  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    11y

    I would be willing to bet that the husband has a criminal record or really bad credit and she doesn't want his background checked. I would do as @Account Closed said and call and ask her if her husband will be living with her. 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Michelle L. said exactly what I'm thinking.  

    Print out the Facebook page before you confront her about it in case she decides to make it private.  My application specifies any intentionally false information is immediate grounds for disqualification.  You don't just forget you are married.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This may sound corny, but if you are in a strong rental market I would pass on her because honesty has to count for something, doesn't it?

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    This may sound corny, but if you are in a strong rental market I would pass on her because honesty has to count for something, doesn't it?

    Liar now, liar later.

  • Lender · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 62 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the input everyone!  Great to have people to bounce stuff like this off of.  I denied the application based on more than one factor, but not due to marital status.  The search for a tenant continues!  I think I've turned down almost 20 applications on this house...  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.