• Investor
  • Monroeville, PA
Votes |
Getting started with Section 8

Rick C.
  • Investor
  • Monroeville, PA
Posted Feb 6 2015, 10:06

After receiving countless inquires whether Section 8 vouchers are accepted, I decided to give it a go on a 1 bedroom apartment. This is in Penn Hills, Allegheny County, a suburb of Pittsburgh.

I screened tenant like any other and signed a lease for her to move in Nov 1st. Per the tenant, there was a delay with her case because she was prevously managed by the Pittsburgh HUD office and had to transfer to county , but I did finally hear from the Allegheny County office end of November and inspection was passed early December. I received a letter from the office stating that the apartment and rent were approved, lease would begin day of inspection, and that I needed to call if there were any changed within 7 days (no changes after contract written). I called next day and left message asking to have start date changed to Nov 1st. I have heard nothing from them since. I did call again in mid-January asking for a call or email on status, but still no response.

Is this the normal process? Does anyone have a good contact with the Allegheny County (PA) office that they could share? Tenant has been there for 3 months already with no payment...

thank you for any advice!

Loading replies...