User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
1100 electric heat bill for tenants what besides use could be wrong and what can we do ?

Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Posted Feb 8 2015, 06:40

Just got a call from a tenant parent and the January electric heat bill was $1100.  In past years the highest it went was $800.   The heat is all electric baseboard with one room with under floor heating on slab and one with an electric wall mount toward the ceiling  The electric company got an 12% increase but really this is more then that and the cost is over the top. I do have propane fireplace that we could hook up for them which most years was more expensive. What besides use can cause this?  Given the huge difference and  the fact that these guys are relatively responsible otherwise I am wondering if there could be something wrong and if so what it could be.  There are thermostats in just about every room so we will advise them again about cranking them up and down over short time period but I am looking for other possibilities.  Could something be going wrong in one of the baseboards that could contribute to this?

Loading replies...