Deal Analysis - How Do You Determine Whether To Buy?

Deal Analysis - How Do You Determine Whether To Buy?

Salem, NH · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 19 votes

Good Morning...

I am contemplating purchasing my first rental property (I have  lot of real estate experience as both a Broker, and an Investor...on the fix and flip side).  For the first time in my life, I have a strong desire to hold onto some properties, and start building  a portfolio.  That said, I've never been a landlord, so am not sure what the numbers need to be for them to make sense.  The current deal I'm analyzing is a side by side duplex, in a nice town, and on a cul-de-sac.  The property is located in a town of mostly single family properties.  The asking price is $369K (seems a bit high, but again, I'm not usually looking at rental investments).  The property has been completely renovated, and it needs absolutely nothing.  Both units have tenants in place who are locked into a lease at $1600.00 per month, giving a total of $3200.00.  I am in a position to put 20% down, but the property taxes are $6000.00 per year, and I'm figuring in another $1500.00 for homeowner's insurance.  It looks like when all of my expenses are paid (and this is before factoring in vacancy or repairs), I would have $500.00 left over each month.  My hunch tells me that probably isn't enough, but I'm not sure if there is some sort of formula that many of you use, when it comes to this.  I will say that based upon where this property is (very desirable location), I'm not terribly concerned about the demand, and the ability to find very good tenants.  I'm also not terribly concerned about any major repairs, given that everything has been renovated in the past year.  That said, it's a property that I would probably hold onto for many years, so I'm just trying to see what makes financial sense.  Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 19 votes
11y

Gross Rents: 38400
50% to expenses: -19200
30-year 4% Mortgage (75% of $350k): -15036
Cash flow: 4164

Your cash to get into the deal is $87,500 (25% down of $350k sale price), plus closing costs, initial repairs and other costs. But if we just assume you make $4,164 on a $87,500 investment, it's a paltry 4.7%. You are better off buying a Vanguard fund. Your hunch is correct, that $500 left over each month really isn't enough to justify such a substantial investment.

I would look for something that is a better return. A few notes: the 50% rule of thumb is based on the experience in the industry, but it will be between 40% (self-managed, tenants pay utilities, newer home) and 60% (PM managed, you have some or all utilities, older home or deferred maintenance). The 50% includes a "cost" for vacancy, as well as costs for property taxes, insurance, utilities, admin/overhead, property management, and maintenance/repairs.

I'm newer here, maybe someone else can chime in on whether location matters as much for tenants. I think you may be looking at the property the way a realtor/buyer would ("cul-de-sac," "desirable location"), but renters may not value those same things.

In contrast, I'm about to close on my first deal and should be able to make the same return you are predicting on an investment of just $27,500.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Gross Rents: 38400
    50% to expenses: -19200
    30-year 4% Mortgage (75% of $350k): -15036
    Cash flow: 4164

    Your cash to get into the deal is $87,500 (25% down of $350k sale price), plus closing costs, initial repairs and other costs. But if we just assume you make $4,164 on a $87,500 investment, it's a paltry 4.7%. You are better off buying a Vanguard fund. Your hunch is correct, that $500 left over each month really isn't enough to justify such a substantial investment.

    I would look for something that is a better return. A few notes: the 50% rule of thumb is based on the experience in the industry, but it will be between 40% (self-managed, tenants pay utilities, newer home) and 60% (PM managed, you have some or all utilities, older home or deferred maintenance). The 50% includes a "cost" for vacancy, as well as costs for property taxes, insurance, utilities, admin/overhead, property management, and maintenance/repairs.

    I'm newer here, maybe someone else can chime in on whether location matters as much for tenants. I think you may be looking at the property the way a realtor/buyer would ("cul-de-sac," "desirable location"), but renters may not value those same things.

    In contrast, I'm about to close on my first deal and should be able to make the same return you are predicting on an investment of just $27,500.

  • Salem, NH · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the informative feedback Michael.  I'm probably going to keep looking, as I'm really wanting to start building a portfolio.  With the endless tax advantages being offered to Landlords, I almost feel silly not taking advantage of those benefits, given how long I've worked in the real estate industry.  One other question...Is there a general rule of thumb for just how "cash flow positive" a property should be for the numbers to make sense?  I suspect in my area of the country (The suburbs of Boston) that deducting 50% of the rental income toward expenses that it would probably virtually impossible to find many properties that would fall into that category.  You can't buy a slab of grass in this part of the country for $100K!

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    11y

    Michael uses cash flow of $4,164.  To that you could add 2% inflation or $7,380 and mortgage pay down of $4,613 or $16,157 return on your investment of $87,500.

    The way I look at it is NOI/(price + rehab) compared to cost of money. I want at least 3 percentage points above my costs.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @John White I'm in line with @Bill Jacobsen in that I also look at the debt service as an addition to my annual returns. However, I like to see a cash-on-cash return of at least 15% and once coupled with the mortgage paydown, a total return of 18-20%+.

    Also, if your market is too expensive, look elsewhere. I live in DC and my market is crazy expensive. However, I set my sights on North Carolina (where I'm from and went to school) and the returns quadruple. Not to mention, the cost to get in decreases substantially. 

    Of course there are risks to investing our of state, but they can be carefully calculated risks.  

  • Salem, NH · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Brandon Hall and @Bill Jacobsen.  I have considered the out of state angle Brandon.  I'm just not sure my comfort level would be very high with that solution as I'm just jumping into this.  I'll continue to educate myself about the pros and cons of finding a management company to make that a more realistic possibility.  Your point about the cost of entry isn't lost on me.  I've looked at Florida (because after this miserable Winter, that's where I'd like to hang out 4 months a year), but because I'm not that familiar with the state (I've lived in the same area my entire life), it's a bit of a challenge to ascertain what the strong rental areas are (beyond seasonal rentals, near the attractions).

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @John White I completely understand your concerns about out-of-state investing. I cheated and have family in the area where I am investing and I know the area well.

    However, its your money and potential wealth at stake. Don't invest in an area that provides lousy returns if you can instead network with individuals for a few months and really get to know the ins and outs of a cheaper market offering higher returns. 

    Florida for instance - there are plenty of people on BP that can probably tell you the good areas and the bad areas, the expense areas and the cheap areas, etc. etc. Do a bit of networking and research before you sink your money into an investment of any sort. 

    Bonus tip - Start by checking out a city's CAFR. The report will tell you the city's income growth, population growth, changes in unemployment, who the biggest employers are, growth plans for the city (i.e. how they will use taxpayer money), risks the city faces, crime rates, and I could go on and on. If a city has a bad or mediocre CAFR, as in it's not growing, then skip that city and move on to the next. 

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    11y

    @John White,

    To Make the @ work do the following:

    Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

    Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

    Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

    If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

    Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

    They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

    Raymond

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi John,

    On my first property, I just ran the numbers (that I verified, not the sellers) and they made fiscal sense. If it may be close, I would look for other properties.  Here is a short side-note that may be of interest on a duplex vs. a four-plex (which is what I own). If I have 3 units rented and 1 vacant, I am still positive cash-flow. In your duplex if you have 1 vacant for a month or two, how will that affect your bottom line? Just something to think about.

    Dan

  • Salem, NH · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    I've also looked at 4plexes (there aren't nearly as many in my area).  The most palatable part of this duplex is simply the location.  It's a very unique property, in that there are almost never rentals in this particular town, and it's a town that people absolutely want to live in.  I visited the property yesterday, and both units are very nice (fully renovated, with very nice kitchens and baths...definitely not "builder grade" stuff), and the property is the last house on the cul-de-sac, surrounded by very nice properties, and this is the only multi in the neighborhood.  I'm still reviewing the numbers and assessing the seller's desire to negotiate.   Thanks again for the great feedback.  The knowledge on this board makes it the absolute best resource on the planet!

  • Norman, OK · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @John white 

    I am also currently considering my first buy and hold deal, but I come with a lot less experience in the real estate world than you. I was wondering about the tax advantages for landlords that you speak of. Could you provide some insight as to what advantages you are referring to? Thank you!

  • Salem, NH · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Andy Hailey 

    Let me preface my comments by stating that I'm not a CPA, and that the U.S. Tax Code makes my head hurt.  That said, those who know far more about the tax side of the business than I do have told me that there isn't a profession that gets more tax benefits than the one of being a Landlord.  For starters, you're able to depreciate the property you purchase over 27.5 years (I didn't even know about this gem), meaning that you can actually write off several thousand (obviously that number will vary depending upon which part of the country you're in.  Beyond that, most Landlords (at least the ones I know) show no profits (at least on paper), so they're not paying income tax on their investment, while someone else is building their equity for them.  There is a reason that many of the most wealthy people have built their wealth through real estate holdings.  On another note, it appears that another Investor beat me to the punch on the property that I originally posted about when I started this thread, so my search continues.

    John

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.