John White
  • Salem, NH
Votes |
Logistical Question - Meeting New Tenants

John White
  • Salem, NH
Posted Mar 1 2015, 13:43

Good Evening...

Forgive my elementary question.  I've put my first investment property (with tenants in place) under contract.  I won't be closing until mid April.  Is there any need for me to meet with the tenants before closing, and becoming the new Landlord?  It's a duplex, and both tenants have leases in place.  I know the leases run with the sale, and I have no desire not to honor them.  They both seem like really good tenants.  Both units were immaculate when I viewed the property, and the rent is paid on time.  I have copies of both leases, which spell out the fact that the owner is responsible for, and therefore owns all of the appliances (range, refrigerator, over the range microwave, and dishwasher).   I certainly don't want to get to the end of either tenancy, only to have them claiming they own any of the appliances.  Should I have them sign something (before the closing), acknowledging that the appliances are owned by the property owner, or are the leases they signed sufficient?  Do you always meet the tenants before the closing, and if so, is it just to introduce yourself, or are there other things I need to do, before the closings, as it relates to the two tenants I'm inheriting?  Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

Loading replies...