Votes
Dana R.
  • San Clemente, CA
Votes |
Not renewing the lease when dealing with a lawyered up tenant

Dana R.
  • San Clemente, CA
Posted Mar 15 2015, 01:37

My tenant is lawyered up so I need to make sure there's no tricks or traps the tenant can pull when I do not renew his lease.

The tenant signed a one year lease where it stated it would end on a specific date. What kind of notice do I need to give him then?

But, things get trickier here: 

Their lease ends when I will be out of the country and so it would be better if I let them stay for another two weeks after the year lease ends when I get back even though I want them out as soon as possible. 

But, what kind of notice would I need to give them then if I let them stay for another two weeks? My concern is that if I let them stay two more weeks after that year lease ends, does it become a month to month lease even though its only supposed to be for just two weeks?

If I let them stay for 2 more weeks after the year lease notice ends, what kind of notice would I need to give them? Would I have to give them a 60 day notice?

If I need to give them a 60 day notice, when can I give it them? Can I give it them exactly 60 days before the year lease and those extra two weeks ends- ie. 46 days before that year end expires. 

Or, can I only give them a 60 day notice after the year lease ends and they begin the two week lease?

Loading replies...