• Real Estate Investor
  • Monument, CO
Votes |
Rental Property for College Student Children

Steve Scherrer
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Monument, CO
Posted Mar 18 2015, 09:20

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this, and what some potential legal issues would be.  The scenario is my two daughters attending the same university.  They are about 3 school grades apart, so there could be something like a 7 year period where at least one of them would live in a rental property that I buy and rent to them.  My intent would be to manage it like a rental property, charging them "market rent", accounting for expenses, depreciation, etc.  I don't think that experience is anything unusual.

Now, add in a potential to use distributions from a 529 plan to cover part of the rent.  There is a certain amount that can be withdrawn from a 529 plan as a qualified distribution for student housing costs ("room and board" costs).  Those costs are usually determined by the university itself, and as I understand it, are usually related to the cost of living on campus in a dorm.

So buy a property that your children live in, run the property as a rental, while taking some part of the 529 distribution that pays for tuition, fees, etc, to also pay a portion of the rent.  Are there any obvious problems with that?

Loading replies...