Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Joe Kim
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SF Bay Area, CA
Votes |
Trying to get my wife to become real estate professional!

Joe Kim
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SF Bay Area, CA
Posted Mar 20 2015, 21:52

I work full-time (60-70 hrs) week on my regular job and do real estate on the side.  Like most people I'm working hard to build wealth and cash-flowing investments in real estate.  In the past 18 months, I've acquired 5 properties (6 units) which are all managed by property manager.  I have one that is self-managed with the best tenant you can ask for. (no phone calls or emails in the last 12+ months).  so 6 total rental properties.

My CPA - Amanda Han (listen to BP podcast #49) has been encouraging my wife to become a real estate professional to take advantage of the tax savings (especially for high earners above 200K who cannot take advantage of the passive losses).  

My wife is a stay at home mom with a full plate with 3 kids to raise.  That being said, our third (last) and youngest child is now going to pre-school in  a few months.  She may finally have more time to actually do the 750 hours of active participation/yr.   However, she has no experience as a landlord and little to no knowledge about investing.  

Finally here is my question.   Anyone know a good real estate course to attend (one that especially focuses on landlording - that's what she would be primarily doing in her 750 hours)?   That may help us to know if she can really do this thing or not.   Also, the course/trip itself will be tax deductible....and a little vacation away from the 3 kids!  Oh, also, it has be to be in a fun location to visit too.

Thanks

Loading replies...