Jacob Zylstra
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Drain Back Up - Laminate Floor Repair?

Jacob Zylstra
  • Bakersfield, CA
Posted Mar 30 2015, 15:39

Fellow landlords,

I'm looking for your real world experience and valuable input.

My first financially significant problem has struck. My tenant flushed a swiffer sweeper pad and clogged the main drain to my rental property It is a two story property. The drain backed up and downstairs toilet overflowed with what smelled like sewage water. The plumber was called in and removed the blockage and the restoration company has provided fans, dehumidifiers, and microbial compound to kill the bacteria associated with the overflowing fluids.

My downstairs floor is laminate wood flooring. The restoration company is recommending that the floor be torn up and walls be opened to allow for more direct contact of the microbial compound.

Estimated floor replacement is upwards of $3500 (conservative, I think) plus the dry wall work.

I'm comforted and relieved to find that my lease holds the tenant responsible for such an event. I have a $2200 security deposit in my hands. Hardly enough, I know, lesson learned.

My questions for you smarter more experienced landlords:

How far do you press a tenant in this situation?

Is it customary to request the security deposit be replaced given the severity of the event?

The tenant is requesting contact information to the restoration company, should I provide it?

The bp community's input would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...