Renters Insurance Addendum

4 Replies

Does anyone have a Renters Insurance Addendum that they like and would be willing to share with me? I'm not sure if in Washington I can Require renters insurance, but I want to strongly recommend it and point out that i will not be responsible for their personal items, temp housing etc. etc. etc.

Can you send me a word version of what you use?

thank you,

Andrew

I never felt the need to educate renters on insurance. Im not responsible for their personal property. Im not going to educate them on auto insurance just because they park their car in my driveway. I rent to adults. They should have some basic understanding of the fact that if there is a fire or a flood Im not buying them a new flat screen tv. 

Bob,  That was a very helpful answer. Thank you.  OK, now does anyone else have an addendum I can use? Or I can make one up, just the same.

Originally posted by @Andrew Martin :

Does anyone have a Renters Insurance Addendum that they like and would be willing to share with me? I'm not sure if in Washington I can Require renters insurance, but I want to strongly recommend it and point out that i will not be responsible for their personal items, temp housing etc. etc. etc.

Can you send me a word version of what you use?

thank you,

Andrew

I just deleted all of the files I had of the contracts I used when I was managing.  But, you might want to get this book which has all the forms you'd ever need in CA (assuming your properties are in CA).  It was my bible:

http://www.nolo.com/products/the-california-landlo...

Their contracts include a section on renter's insurance and the fact that the landlord is not responsible for their personal property.  I did not have a separate addendum.

You can just download the book, which includes all the forms.  If you're not in CA, they have books specific to TX, and some generic books for landlords with contracts, etc.

I did find this addendum online.  You could just tweak it and delete the first section about insurance being required:

http://powerassoc.com/z-Sample-Lease-Paperwork/Ren...

@Rob Beland

Renters insurance also covers YOUR property in many cases of tenant negligence or damage. Think grease fire, there are other items also, but that is the one it saved me on! If it weren't for the renters insurance I would have lost my coverage or had the rate go through the roof. 

Sorry Andrew, I know this doesn't answer your question either.

@Andrew Martin undefined

P.S. I would also be interested in a Renters Insurance Addendum that they like and would be willing to share.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.