About Section 8

12 Replies

Please help me,

I have  1 tenant who is section 8 in my property which is located at Hayward, CA. 

And I got a notice from City Hall showing that she violated two sections. And I already took action but she didn't cooperate with me. What should I do for it since City Hall will charge the owner for fail in reinspection?

And what can I do if I want to terminate the lease with her since this reason?

Thank you!

I agree - talk to the Housing Authority, and ask them what to do and explain that the tenant is being uncooperative and you need their help.  

Originally posted by @Hansen Sin :

And I got a notice from City Hall showing that she violated two sections. And I already took action but she didn't cooperate with me. What should I do for it since City Hall will charge the owner for fail in reinspection?

You are responsible for the property passing inspection, not the tenant.  If it fails because of a condition of the Real Property, they won't blame the tenant - that's on you my friend.  The tenant can violate their entitlement agreement (or whatever it's called) for personal reasons - like getting behind on child support, drug use, or having a guest who is a convicted felon on the property, but if the actual property does not pass - even if it fails because of a condition the tenant caused, my experience has been that it's going to fall on the homeowner. 

Every sec8 tenant has a case worker.  When the tenant moved in and signed the lease you should have received a fairly large packet that has the case worker's name all over it.  You need to call that specific case worker, maybe go in and meet with him/her, and work with the case worker to figure this out.   

I've had some rough go's with sec8, I've had some go very bad very fast.  

While Sec8 is a federal program and there are many federal standards that will apply to every sec8 tenant, however each individual Housing Authority runs the program their own unique way - so nobody here is going to be able to tell you exactly how to deal with the specifics.  You really need to get with the case worker immediately as they are probably the only person that can help you navigate through this correctly and efficiently.

Blair Poelman, Broker in Utah (#9299425)
Originally posted by @Blair Poelman :
Originally posted by @Hansen Sin:

You are responsible for the property passing inspection, not the tenant.  If it fails because of a condition of the Real Property, they won't blame the tenant - that's on you my friend.  The tenant can violate their entitlement agreement (or whatever it's called) for personal reasons - like getting behind on child support, drug use, or having a guest who is a convicted felon on the property, but if the actual property does not pass - even if it fails because of a condition the tenant caused, my experience has been that it's going to fall on the homeowner. 

Every sec8 tenant has a case worker.  When the tenant moved in and signed the lease you should have received a fairly large packet that has the case worker's name all over it.  You need to call that specific case worker, maybe go in and meet with him/her, and work with the case worker to figure this out.   

While Sec8 is a federal program and there are many federal standards that will apply to every sec8 tenant, however each individual Housing Authority runs the program their own unique way - so nobody here is going to be able to tell you exactly how to deal with the specifics.  You really need to get with the case worker immediately as they are probably the only person that can help you navigate through this correctly and efficiently.

I think the main issue is that the tenant is being uncooperative about letting him in to do the work that needs to be done.  I may be mistaken.  If that's the case, if the HA knows the problem is the tenant being uncooperative, they should be more lenient with the owner and get on the tenant's case for him, to let him in to fix things.

@Blair Poelman  I've had a failed inspection directly due to actions taken by the tenant.  Most recently, everything was good on my end, but the tenant had a TV power cord running across the living room floor.  The inspector failed the inspection because of it, but it was totally on the tenant.  The tenant moved the TV to the other side of the room, and passed the next inspection.  Maybe something similar has happened in this case with @Hansen Sin .

Originally posted by @Michele Fischer :

I'd suggest contacting your local housing authority to see if they will partner with you to resolve the issue or remove her and revoke her voucher.  We had a non cooperative tenant; we got sick of it and gave her notice to vacate at the end of this month.  Good luck!

Thank you so much! I tried to talk with local housing authority. But no one reply me. I feel so sick about section8 right now. 

Originally posted by @Blair Poelman :
Originally posted by @Hansen Sin:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I brought this property from the previous owners while the section 8 tenants already live there from 2003 till now. And I did check the lease signed with HACA but it's too simple and didn't find the one you said as a case worker. But I think I should keep going to HACA. What else I can do? If I want to terminate the lease with them?
Yes, actually I told HACA and City Hall about their uncooperation and they said they knew it but no action is taken now~

Actually, we pass the inspection from HACA. But the issue right now is that they violate two sections in city law and uncooperate with us for correcting. And city hall would charge the owner.

@Hansen Sin

check your landlord laws for what remedies you have in this case.  You may need to speak with an attorney that could properly advise you.

Blair Poelman, Broker in Utah (#9299425)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.