Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Karen P.
  • Investor
  • Mckinney, TX
Votes |
Tenant lets dogs potty on floors! How to handle?

Karen P.
  • Investor
  • Mckinney, TX
Posted Apr 27 2015, 11:51

I'll try to make this not too crazy complicated. We recently bought an 11 unit complex. The aquired leases were handwritten, one page and very lacking.

We have been rehabbing the empty units and significantly raising the rents, getting them up to market.

The current residents love the new units and have been happily moving into the more expensive redone ones.

So here comes my dilemma. This past week one of the current residents asked to move into one we are finishing and I verbally said yes. My contractor and I walked her current unit this past Friday to see the scope of rehab needed for her apartment once vacant.

Well, the smell about dropped us both. She has 2 little dogs that she obviously allows to go potty on the floors, all. the. time. When we opened under the kitchen sink to inspect the disposal, we found a litter box of dog poop over filling the box and white fuzzy mold growing on it!!!

How would you handle this situation. I obviously do not want her moving into the newly remodeled unit. I want to tell her this and tell her she needs to clean her apartment. At the same time, I want to be delicate as possible. Thanks!!

Loading replies...