Carpet install delayed - now what

6 Replies

I have a 2BR that is having new carpet and vinyl installed prior to the new tenant moving in on the 15th of May. Was just told by the carpet place that two installers quit on them and they are now down to one installer, and can longer install my carpet/vinyl in time for the new tenant to move in. They are looking for another installer but to be honest, I don't think they really care about my time frame.

This is not a large area with a lot of choices. I called every place I could think of and naturally they are all booked out a month away. Home Depot *might* be able to get carpet done in time, but not vinyl. 

I already tore out all the carpet and padding, its down to the sub floor. 

Needless to say, I'm freaking out. 

Anyone else ever been in this situation? What did you do?

Did you try looking for installers on Craigslist?  A lot of times they're the same installers who work for the local carpet companies and/or big box stores, just moonlighting on the side.

@Kyle J. is right. Craigslist is a godsend. 

For every lazy contractor who owns a lousy business there is a hardworking laborer who has the talent you need, but he just can't run his own shop well. Don't discredit that resource.

Secondly, American capitalism is beautiful. There is ALWAYS someone out there hungry for work, and will charge you market price (unless you're REALLY REALLY on the wire). if you have a week or two, you can get someone out there to do it. Just gotta find the right person. 

I have looked on Craiglist. I have two calls in and hoping to hear something soon. And you're right, I know there is someone out there looking for work. I just need to find them, and quickly. LOL

Use your other resources. Referrals are always preferred. Get on your facebook/twitter and let the world know what you're looking for. People LOVE referring people they know. 

That;s funny, I just made a post to facebook a while ago looking for anyone who may know of someone. Glad to know I am at least on the right track.

I don't like stress.  So, I won't even advertise until the place is ready.  I would rather have an extra month of vacancy then stress out over a timeline that contractors could care less about.