3-12 years warranty gas water heaters for rental?

11 Replies

I have few ancient water heaters - older than 20 yo :))) what I would better choose as a replacement. I am planning to hold this rentals for some time.

Start setting money aside immediately to pay for their replacement. They could last a few more years or fall apart tomorrow.

@Jane A.

The warranty on the replacement water heater should be of secondary consideration. 

My primary concern would be the energy efficiency of the new heater(s).  A modern, direct-vented, condensing hot-water heater will have an annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating  >90.   

In contrast, your 20-year old, gas heaters most likely have an efficiency between 60 and 75.

If you do the math, you will likely find that if your existing water heaters run for another 5 years, the difference in fuel consumption to a new heater would pay a considerable amount of the acquisition and installation cost for a new heater.   

Besides, it is always less painful to replace any capital equipment on your schedule rather than wait until it fails.

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now

Thank you :))) yes I am going to replace what started to fail already and ancient appliances as well. But what is the difference between 3 or 12 years warranty? My contractor told me that there is a difference in quality of appliances. This is not just warranty.

Originally posted by @Jane A. :

Thank you :))) yes I am going to replace what started to fail already and ancient appliances as well. But what is the difference between 3 or 12 years warranty? My contractor told me that there is a difference in quality of appliances. This is not just warranty.

Yes ... the higher warranty comes on the better made, albeit more expensive, models.   All of he 90+ AFUE models we use here carry 9+ year warranties.

So is it worth it to go with more expensive models for rental instead of cheap? Do we need to do any maintenance regarding water heaters once in a while ?

Gas or electric heaters , what type of water , hard, soft , acidic . If the old ones lasted 20 years , be pro active , replace before they leak 

Some people are following "cheap" approach using cheapest possible appliances, others advise to use better quality appliances, I am confused

The longer warranty water heaters usually are made with better quality components. Look for the most energy efficient models and shop for the best prices. Sometimes you can put Lowe's and Home Depot against each other for the lowest prices.  For areas with hard water, a few times a year you should turn off the water supply and the gas, connect a garden hose to the drain connection and fully drain the tank. That will usually remove sediment buildup.

Originally posted by @Jane A. :

Some people are following "cheap" approach using cheapest possible appliances, others advise to use better quality appliances, I am confused

It is worth getting the more energy efficient models, which usually means at better quality heater, which carries a longer warranty.  We always buy our heaters based on the quality of the build more than the warranty.  Rarely have we had a heater fail before it's warranty period has expired.  Those that have, typically fail due to a manufacturing defect and are replaced.

You also mentioned your water is hard, which is more incentive to use a better heaterI with a better tank and components.  In addition to draining the tank {semi-}annually to remove buildup, you will still need to have the gas side of your heater serviced every 1-2 years (just as you would have been doing with the old ones and your furnaces/boilers).