• Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
I'm going with my gut...

Lisa Ryan
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted May 9 2015, 17:03

I'm going with my gut and I know some *concerned* individuals might lecture me :)

As I talked about in a previous post, one of my applicants warned me that he had an eviction on his report but his name wasn't on the lease. I had them over to discuss it and the situation is that his ex-wife wife was a little bit of a con artist and forged his signature - he's fighting it and I saw the legal proceedings that are happening, including her history of forgery. He's been divorced for a few years now and is trying to leave her legacy behind.

He also makes solid income - he makes 3.6 times rent - and has been with his company for a decade. I talked to his current landlord and they're sad to see them go and have tried throwing extra incentives in to make them stay.

So I'm going with my gut. He has an eviction in his name currently from 2010, but all the positives (1) solid income (2) stable job and (3) glowing current landlord reference are telling me yes.  His wife's income is a little lower and I know some people want both the husband and wife to meet the 3x rent rule. She makes 2.4 times rent. They're newlyweds (2 years) so hopefully nothing happens to the marriage, but if something does there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to pay the lease through or an early termination fee penalty of 1.5 month's rent.

Let all the concerned Aunt Suzies step forward...

Loading replies...