kitchen cabinets. durability vs looks whats the best bang for my buck?

4 Replies

Without a doubt the kitchen and bath are your two areas where your property will shine in the potential renters eye.

I am about to commence on my In law suite and I am at an impassse when it comes to selecting Cabinets

my contractor wants to go builder grade. but painted. and we will swap out the doors to 

go with a more modern look. 

i had some cabinets picked out from Lowes

but i also like some of Ikea's offererings However,Ikea build quality is suspect.

I am only dealing with line set up on a 12 foot wall.

with 24 inch stove and 24 inch fridge

so my cost will not be too high no matter which way I go. 

I do not want to go cheap cheap 

I would rather get the best look possible without going too much over 2,000 for materials.. 

I was also thinking about stainless steel cabinets from Ikea and they would at least be durable 

@Steven Maduro,

i think there is someone on the diY threads where they consolidated the ikea cabinets (plywood top and bottom to make the boxes sturdier for granite on top)

google for hi-end kitchen with ikea cabinets

also look for RTA (ready-to-assemble) cabinets: usually they are plywood with wood-fronts.

search a distributor in your area. or a small mom-and pop shop that just had a custom order cancelled...

also check craigslist in your area: maybe somebody just remodeled their kitchen...

...also you can get a few older furnitures, remodel them like a certain "lazy landlord" vanity and have some chic kitchen like no other.... :-P

Go with the RTA or "knock down" type cabinets that have plywood in places where the big box cabinets use MDF or particle board. They will be priced within the budget you have IMO. And they will be more durable than the MDF / particle board crap. 

The RTA likely will have other nice features to boot: dove tail joints on drawers, soft close drawers, soft close hinge on cabinet doors. 

Originally posted by @Steven Maduro :

but i also like some of Ikea's offererings However,Ikea build quality is suspect.

I was also thinking about stainless steel cabinets from Ikea and they would at least be durable 

From what I've read and heard, Ikea's cabinets are pretty good quality for the money.

Sure, it would be better if their cabinets were plywood instead of particleboard. But, you'd have to spend a lot more money to get plywood kitchen cabinetry. At the prices you'll be looking at, all your choices will end up being particleboard. 

@Steven Maduro , like a couple of people have suggested above, you could check out some RTA cabinets. We ordered some cabinets online for the first time from Lily Anne Cabinets for a rehab we're doing, and were very impressed with the price and quality of the components and finish. Soft close doors/drawers, dovetail joints, overall great quality. 

Here is the link to their website if you're interested - 

http://www.lilyanncabinets.com/

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.