• Nottingham, MD
Votes |
Rental Strategies with Daughter as a Tenant

Edward Jakubiak
  • Investor
  • Nottingham, MD
Posted May 24 2015, 07:37

Hi all,

I tried finding this scenario on the forum and couldn't find something similar.  I am buying a rental property for my 22 year old daughter to start out after college.  It is a 3 BR townhouse in a vacation area.  She will have 2 roommates, 1 right away and one in September.  There is a good possibility of a 2 month summer renter to fill in. I am discounting her third of the rent by $240 a month to get her on her feet.  I am planning to keep it at least 10 years (possible summer weekly rental at some point). I have 2 questions:

1. Since she is family getting a one half discount, would it be better to have a third of it as a second home and write off a third of the mortgage and taxes.  Then have the other 2 as income producing renters?  I see the advantage as being similar cash flow and income with less depreciation write-off (more $ when I sell).

2. Is it okay to do 2 leases for the roommates?  One lease agreement will be tough with different start dates and 1 being my daughter with no lease.  I read it's always better to do 1 lease. 

Thanks everyone.  

Ed 

Loading replies...