Renting the house I live in

3 Replies

Hello, 

I'm going to be renting the extra bedroom in my house and have been getting a lot of questions about who my girlfriend and I are? I would like to change my rental ad to include information about myself and my girlfriend but I don't want to violate any rules about exclusive advertisement. Anyone know if the landlord can make an ad including information about himself and girlfriend?

In a situation like this people are just wanting to know who they will be living with. Unlike a rental they are sharing living space with you. Personally I would start with posting on facebook for acquaintances/friends. I see no problem posting a blurb about yourself/living conditions. 

I always only describe the property. Not the tenant I seek, not the owner/LL.  I don't even say "walk to bus line and shops" because some people don't walk.  In my CL ads,  I ask questions and only allow them to respond by anonymous CL e-mail.  Here are some typical questions: How far is this from your work/income source? How many in your household? Do you smoke? Do you have pets? How soon would you like to/ have to move?

When people respond, it will open a dialogue you can e-mail back and talk about yourselves as you choose.  It will also help you screen up front.  If they don't answer at all, that says a lot, too.  As the e-mail screening graduates up, you can exchange numbers and meet.  Hope this helps @Jon Loca !

Thank you Steve and Ryan for your responses. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here