discovering workman is a convicted felon-what are landlords obligations?

6 Replies

I ran a criminal check on a workman  recently hired & found out he is a convicted felon & was in prison until 2011 ( crime-identity theft). Our ad specifically said do not apply if you  cannot pass a criminal background check.   He is a good worker, but I am very concerned about having him work on occupied properties (so far I have only had him do exterior yard work on vacant houses)--   When I confronted him  about what we found, he said that I was happy with his work so why am I concerned about lhis past & doesn't everyone deserve a chance, etc.

What would other landlords do? 

I would get rid of him. He already lied once on the application. Knowing what you know would be a lability for you if anything ever happens.

I would not want the liability of him working on occupied properties.

Use him on your vacant properties if he is doing a good job. Even if it is just outside for now. He has a point about a second chance. You may get burned or you may have someone that will be extremely loyal because you took a chance and gave him a second chance.

I agree with using him on vacant policies. I am sure there are contractors who put on a good front, will pass a background check, do good work but will rob you blind, and I am sure there are guys with records whom have changed their ways..l trust is always earned and use on vacant properties. 

appreciate the feedback--while I believe in second chances, the fact that he ignored the caveat on our ad of "don't respond if you cannot pass a background check", indicated to us that he was ok in being deceptive--even if it was to prove himself as a good worker so we would overlook the criminal aspect--I feel that having him around  increases our liability for a lawsuit, and if something Actually DID happen, we had knowledge & put our tenants and their security at risk---PS--asked our attorney & he said get rid of him, so that is the plan--

If you're using him on vacant property then there is little chance for him to repeat the offense.  However, once a felon always a felon.  Trust but verify... I would be really careful about giving him credit cards to purchase supplies.  You might have to deal with him on a different level, especially at first.  You might want to talk to his PO if he has one; there may be a program that gets you a tax break.  Tread lightly, especially since he lied on his application. 

Good luck  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here