How to properly vet a tenant

3 Replies

Hi Everyone,

About to rent my first condo, can you please let me know if there is anything else i should do to properly vet the tenant. 

So far i have called the previous landlords, called current/former employers to validate salary and years of service. obtained a credit and background check, had them fill out an application.

Are there any key things I am missing?

We actually just put together a video that outlines what we do to score an application, maybe you'll find it helpful!

Looks like you're off to a good start. Do you require personal references on your application? I personally like to call them just to see what comes out when asked if they know the applicant. Sometimes it can provide some useful info - "Ahh yeah, I know John, we used to live together, but his girlfriend was always passing out on our couch, so I moved out." If you uncover any concerning issues you can go over them with the applicants before signing.

I'd also recommend going through the lease, explaining any important restrictions and the penalties. It's important that tenants know this is a business, and that I'm fair but firm on the terms, and that they will be enforced.

Sounds like you have your bases pretty much covered.