Cabinets and countertops - advice please!

16 Replies

Hi again!

We are trying to figure out what to do for our kitchens, and having a REALLY hard time trying to find cabinets and countertops! We really want granite or solid surface for the counters, which is the best option? Can I ask for referrals for places in/near Indianapolis?

For cabinetry, I have been doing some research, and we have gotten a few quotes. We would love to do white/cream cabinets because the kitchens are only 10x13 (roughly), and white would make it feel so much bigger, but is that a bad idea as both sides will be rentals eventually? 

Has anyone used http://www.lilyanncabinets.com before? What did you think? Or ?

Thanks so much, I have learned a LOT already!

Mark

White cabinets are just fine in a rental. I installed white cabinets, shaker style, from Home Depot. Sort of their mid-range. And silestone quartz counters, which are a little more expensive than granite but virtually indestructible and require no annual sealing and buffing.

Are we talking Apartment rentals?  Only ask because granite or high end cabinets usually don't go well.  If you are talking for yourself or a flip try Fabuwood Linen Shaker Style cabinets.  Been having great success on my flips with these. 

Otherwise use JSI Cabinets "Salem" with Laminate tops

We are rehabbing a duplex, and will be living in 1 side for a few years while renting out the other side, and then renting out both sides when we upgrade.

Quartz sounds like the best options, but are there different tiers/price points for quartz, like granite?

Thanks,

Mark

@Mark Wikkerink there are different grades of everything - and prices will vary everywhere you go. Check out a few shops - you should have no problem finding something you like in your price range, just keep searching.

White cabinets are great for everything, and I will second the purchase from HD or even Lowes. They too have different grades, ranging from in-stock ready to install (lower end) to quick ship (mid tier) and custom (high end - for HD / lowes of course).

Silestone comes in different price levels just like granite. The cheapest grade is about the price of the second-cheapest grade of granite, and so on up the line.

You can get cabinets and look at counters at Home Depot, but do not actually buy the counters there. Shop around.

A lot of people don't realize but granite is not totally maintenance free.  Quartz, for the same price if you buy it right, is pretty close to indestructible and maint. free. 

I like white cabinets long term for one reason, a single coat of white trim paint makes them look brand new again.

Originally posted by @George Paiva :

Are we talking Apartment rentals?  Only ask because granite or high end cabinets usually don't go well.  If you are talking for yourself or a flip try Fabuwood Linen Shaker Style cabinets.  Been having great success on my flips with these. 

Otherwise use JSI Cabinets "Salem" with Laminate tops

@george you are correct the Shaker Linen is beautiful. Have you checked out the Galaxy Frost? In my opinion so much nicer, but they have a temporary delayed turn around time, althoughalth slowly improving.

Hi Mark and Wife ( I didn't catch your name on your profile),

Since you're interested in renting out both spaces long term and living in one of them short term, I would suggest going with a medium grade and quality material, with the lowest maintenance possible.  Check out this 4 minute video from one of my favorite shows, Ask This Old House on stone countertop maintenance:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20504052,...

Host Kevin talks with an expert.  If I were you, I would pick the engineered quartz.  It has probably the highest durability and lowest maintenance of other stones, at a fraction of the cost of natural quartz.  This is a surface you could live with and also impress potential tenants.  A quick demo at each move-in on periodic surface maintenance could prolong the life of your investment.  You could also do it yourself during inspections.  It really is easy.  

Just remember that higher quality finishes usually bring higher quality, longer term tenants and garner higher rents; not always the case, but more often than not.  You should also check out the nearby competition.  This will help you to not over-invest in finishes but still have a competitive advantage.  

We would love to see pictures of your 1903 duplex!

John Newman

Originally posted by @Moe Hirsch :

@george you are correct the Shaker Linen is beautiful. Have you checked out the Galaxy Frost? In my opinion so much nicer, but they have a temporary delayed turn around time, althoughalth slowly improving.

Really, my guy was pushing Galaxy the other day but I just felt white was too generic white and the Linen gave that warmth that caters to the female crowd.  Lets face it, Bathrooms and Kitchens have to appeal to the wife.  

I've also wanted to challenge that idea but doing the interior trim a linen color vs the standard white.  When I did a test on a living room and invited a number of people for an opinion the white was universal across the board liked by all.  BUT the linen was liked by only the women.  I stuck with the white for the trim but someday I will do the linen trim.

Sorry to veer off a bit ...

Originally posted by @George Paiva :
Originally posted by @Moe Hirsch:

Really, my guy was pushing Galaxy the other day but I just felt white was too generic white and the Linen gave that warmth that caters to the female crowd.  Lets face it, Bathrooms and Kitchens have to appeal to the wife.  

I've also wanted to challenge that idea but doing the interior trim a linen color vs the standard white.  When I did a test on a living room and invited a number of people for an opinion the white was universal across the board liked by all.  BUT the linen was liked by only the women.  I stuck with the white for the trim but someday I will do the linen trim.

Sorry to veer off a bit ...

George, I`m actually doing now a Fussion Blanc vanity. Have you seen that yet?

I have seen white cabinets with a plastic coating that can separate from the wood, I have stayed away from white because of this.

Is this what you guys are buying or is it all wood?

I wouldn't say quartz is pretty indestructible. They can be really sensitive to heat, depending on grade I guess, especially the darker colors (ie: trendy gray), and can leave a permanent light discolored mark after you put a hot plate of food on it...like even out of the microwave. I wouldn't do gray or any dark quartz on a rental. White, off-white, might be a different story. Also quartz can be hella hell to clean grease of.