Electric Service Upgrade

10 Replies

I recently bought my first rental property (3 bedroom townhouse in Philadelphia), and after putting it up for rent I've been getting quite a lot of interest - which is pretty exciting!

When I was in the process of buying the house my home inspector noted that the electric service to the house is only 60 amps, and should be upgraded to a minimum of 100 amps.

I got a quote from a contractor for installing new service cable, breaker box, and ground rod for $1,900. 

There are a couple of other things I need to do to the house - like installing a washer/dryer hookup, and running cable through the house.

I'm trying to conserve as much money as possible, but don't want to skip anything that will become a headache later on.

Should I upgrade the electric service?  If I should upgrade, is 100 amps enough or should I just go for 200?

Does $1,900 sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

Ilya

I think that's pretty high. The labor for a 200 amp compared to a 100 amp is the same. the only thing different is the ratings of the materials, they are heavier for the higher amperage. 

I would get more quotes.  I'll bet you can get it done for less. 

OK I just reread the post, does that price include running the washer and/or dryer electric?  does it include running the cable TV lines? If so, then I would say $1900 is pretty much spot on. 

Originally posted by @Mark Redmann :

OK I just reread the post, does that price include running the washer and/or dryer electric?  does it include running the cable TV lines? If so, then I would say $1900 is pretty much spot on. 

Thanks for the insight!

No it does not include the washer/dryer hookup and cable.  The hookup quote is $375 and cable is depending on linear feet (haven't actual gotten a quote for that yet).

I'm guessing your suggestion is to go a head and make the upgrade.  PM me if you have any good electricians you would recommend.  Thanks!

Definitely do the upgrade.  60 amps is nothing.  I would go to the 200 amp, as that has actually become a selling feature over here on the west side of the state.

Hi @Ilya Hvostikov , I purchased a duplex in February of this year.  The electrical service on for the boxes is 100 amp.  I am upgrading to 200 amps and adding a third box for the common areas are required by Philadelphia code.  The first quote I got for this service along with running some ground wire and a few other things was just north of $5000.  My second quote came in just north of $3000.  I have a third quote coming in my I don't expect it to be less than $3000.  Labor is the city seems to be spiking, I contribute this to all the redevelopment that is occurring.  Bottom line I think you quote is probably in the ball part, but I would get a couple others before pulling the trigger.

You should upgrade to 200A service. Is the 60A service presenting any problems at the moment? If not, get a few more estimates. $1900 doesn't sound too bad, but there are a lot of variables. 

I think you should upgrade to 200.   If I were doing it I woud ask the electrician for  a quote covering all the electrical  that I need.   

Have him include the washer dryer electrical.  So far you have a $375.00 Plus a $1,900 with a total of $1,275.00.  Deceide what other electrical work you need like hanging any light fixtures and putting in n exhaust fan in the bathroom and adding any light switches and get  package price for everything ekectrical that you need to get done.

I think you should upgrade to 200.   If I were doing it I woud ask the electrician for  a quote covering all the electrical  that I need.   

Have him include the washer dryer electrical.  So far you have a $375.00 Plus a $1,900 with a total of $1,275.00.  Deciede what other electrical work you need like hanging any light fixtures and putting in an exhaust fan in the bathroom and adding any light switches and get  package price for everything electrical that you need to get done.

No reason to just upgrade to 100A service. Might as well upgrade to 150A or 200A. As for which one, I would have the electrician do the load calcs based on expected usage in the house and then be conservative with that number. If you have gas to the water heater and the furnace, I have to imagine 150A is fine for most SFR, but again, the electrician can do the load calculations.

As for price, I don't know the prices in Phili, but I can't imagine $1900 is too expensive.  You may be able to find someone to do it for less, but even at that price, you're not getting ripped off.

What does the $375 washer/dryer hookup include?  Is that running a new circuit?  

I just had it done for $1500. I added a clothes drier circuit as well but I don't remember how much it was. I think under $200. A lot of this depends on how long the cable runs are. Thicker cable for washer and AC are expensive.

I am doing a full kitchen gut and remodel on a 1965 SFR that is currently on 100 amp service. I am adding a dishwasher, microwave, and garbage disposal as well as recessed and pendant lighting and moving every other outlet and light switch around.

The price I just got to put in a 200 amp panel and move it from inside the laundry to outside at the other end of the house was $3000, but that depends on what the power company makes them do as far as moving the meter and where they are allowed to put the new panel.

The price for the rest of the work, which essentially amounts to rewiring the whole kitchen adding a handful of new circuits and some of the den is another $3000. I'm thinking this is high, but it is a lot of work and they are providing all of the recessed lighring, materials and that includes adding hardwired smoke and CO detectors throughout the house. I'm going tk go through it line by line tomorrow to see what I can get it down to.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here