Alternative to MySmartMove?

16 Replies

I am a newer landlord, managing 6 properties. I have used mysmartmove in the past for tenant screening, however I have had enough of their terrible customer service.  Horrible experience the last two tenants that tried, won't take payment, won't explain what is going on, and long story short, I found their customer service people outright lied to me after I talked to their manager. So my question is.... Is there another service similar to smartmove that you have dealt with that may provide better customer service or are more professional?

Hello @Joel Katsma

I am a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. Your comments regarding the service you received are very important to us. We would like to hear the details of your experience so we can address these issues. Please send us an email at [email protected] and include any other details about your experience – along with a good phone number to contact you at during business hours. We will call you directly to help. Thanks!

@ Joel Katsma

That's not good.  Just a few minutes ago I set up a new tenant screening application on Trans Union MySmartmove for the the 1st time.  

@Sara Jackson

I hope my tenant will not have the same problem Joel Katsma is experiencing. 

Is anyone else using another tenant screening service they have been happy with?

Thanks.

I have used MySmartMove for years with all A+++  results.  I'm thinking that this is an isolated incident.  I would give the MySmartMove rep that wrote a chance to see if they can troubleshoot the problem.

Hello @Theresa Minifield,

Your tenant should be able to complete the screening successfully, but if they have trouble for any reason they can email us directly at [email protected]. Thanks!

I use rentprep and have been happy so far.  

Thanks @Bryon Bohlsen, I will look into that.  Sara, I appreciate the note, I will shoot you an email and hopefully it will get resolved. 

Glad to hear that RentPrep is working for you @Byron Bohlsen !

@Joel Katsma feel free to reach out if you have any screening questions, I'm happy to help however I can. If you prefer a phone call, our Screeners are available 9am-7pm M-Th and 9am-5pm Fridays to take your call and answer any questions. No wait times, or call backs - you'll get right through to an FCRA Certified Screener.

We'll help whether you use our service or not. There are a lot of choices when it comes to screening companies, and of course some will fit your needs better than others. So we'll quickly figure out what you need and point you in the right direction. 

If Smartmove ends up being the right fit for you, Sara Jackson will take good care of you. She was our rep at one point and always followed through, so hang on to her info she's a great resource at TU.

Thanks @Steven White I appreciate the help and guidance. I checked out your website, the testimonials, and ratings look good, I will definitely be giving you guys a try! 

Smartmove has been great for me. The only problems I've seen are applicants who have problematic records having trouble validating their info.  I don't see that as a problem with Smartmove and indeed the point of the credit screen is to weed out bad apples.

Hi Joel,

If you give rentprep a try i recommend their platinum package with optional credit check. What i like is not having to spend the time and effort calling past landlords and employment. Also they have a coupon for new users. 

Originally posted by @Sara Jackson :

Hello @Joel Katsma

I am a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. Your comments regarding the service you received are very important to us. We would like to hear the details of your experience so we can address these issues. Please send us an email at [email protected] and include any other details about your experience – along with a good phone number to contact you at during business hours. We will call you directly to help. Thanks!

we have been happy with SM and have used it for years. they have the eviction report which has helped TREMENDOUSLY! 

just the other day i emailed Sara and she was helpful. we use the $5 coupon and never had issues. the tenants have not had issues either.

but to answer the original question... yes, there are other services out there.

Thank you Byron and George, it seems like SmartMove and RentPrep have the "ease of use" thing basically cornered.  I am still seeing if I can continue to work with SmartMove but I am going to try out RentPrep and see how it compares.  I appreciate everyone's responses and feedback - it is greatly appreciated. I am new to these forums and appreciate how I can talk to people and get feedback from those who are much more experienced and wiser than I am! 

Hope you all have an excellent weekend. 

Just to follow up, Sara from SmartMove is excellent, if their entire customer service department would be like here there would never be any issues - if you have a problem contact her! 

@Joel Katsma

Just completed my tenant screening using SmartMove and it worked out great.  My tenants did not have any problems.  The whole process was quick.

@Sara Jackson

Thanks so much, Sara.  I will be using SmartMove for my future screenings. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.