Can a snake be a legitimate service pet?

9 Replies

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/15/us/restaurant-snake/...

A man and woman in Missouri went to a restaurant accompanied by a snake.  When customers complained to the manager, the manger confronted the man, his date, and his snake.

"He said ... it's my service animal. And I'm allowed to have it because it helps me with my depression,"

A line in the article answers the question in this thread's title: "The American with Disabilities Act states "only dogs are recognized as service animals."

However, the manager at the restaurant didn't know that and apparently allowed the couple and their snake to stay and complete their meal.

It might be an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). Those don't have to be allowed in public locations, but in housing it's another story ...

service animals and emotional support animals are different, there was a thread not too long ago about tenants using ESA to beat no pet rules and avoid pet fees.

But a ESA snake?

Common sense is gone in America.

What about us?  What about EDLHDBBT?  Should we he protected?

EDLHDBBT = Emotionally Distressed Landlords Highly Disturbed By Bad Tenants

I would not want a tenant with a snake -emotional support animal. If you give someone an inch, they take a mile.  What's next? A emotional support pig, monkey, or giant capybara? 

LOL this is gold. I wonder if the snake gets the newspaper for him in the morning. Or the TV remote if it's to far away. Perhaps a beer during football games? :P

(317) 258‑4989 | http://www.Indy.Investments

There is a very distinct line between ADA and Fair Housing. In the case of the restaurant the ADA presides and snakes are not eligible! 

In the housing arena it's a Fair Housing issue and snakes can be considered service animals if they have a signed letter from their MD stating that the snake is a needed service animal.

Originally posted by @Dick Rosen :

There is a very distinct line between ADA and Fair Housing. In the case of the restaurant the ADA presides and snakes are not eligible! 

In the housing arena it's a Fair Housing issue and snakes can be considered service animals if they have a signed letter from their MD stating that the snake is a needed service animal.

I imagine that is not a pleasant thought for many landlords.  I don't mind for most snakes, but I worry about a tenant bringing a sizable boa or python in as a service animal.

@Randy E.

Remember that the letter must be signed by an authorized MD! I can't imagine any real MD signing off on a snake :)

I know this is legal in CA, because my mom had a ESA which happened to be a Ball Python. They are surprisingly clean animals, so if you're worried about it in a rental you shouldn't be, they're not destructive like dogs can be. 

as someone that needs a service dog I WILL say NO a snake IS NOT a service animal..  however I disagree that it cant be a therapy or emotional support animal...  I have severe ptsd, high blood pressure, and panick attacks.. holding my sbake and having it slowly moving around my neck and through my hands etc.. is the best therapy EVER  I've tried meds and other CRAP he relaxes me and helps me more than anything has..   as far as a boa etc.. no it'snot necessary.. or a python etc.. they're AWESOME  but big and CAN be dangerous,  venemoids and constricting snakes are often illegal in many areas anyway.  Mine is a king snake.. they almost never bite, they're somewhat smaller, carry no bacteria, have tiny teeth and are all over.. I travel the US WITH HIM AND HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE