• Denver, CO
Votes |
My Worst day ever landlording

Bill S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorPosted Aug 19 2015, 12:32

Today was my worst day ever landlording. I evicted a 86 year-old lady and her 50-something unemployed daughter.

I purchased the property back at the end of May. Right after closing I gave the lady the option of paying market rent or moving. She said she couldn't afford market rent and I was evil for wanting market rent. She had moved to this property about 4 years ago after she had been foreclosed on from her home of 69 years. My 1700 sqft property and the adjacent oversized two car garage were stuffed to the gills with their stuff.

I sent her numerous emails in June letting her know she needed to move by the end of the month. Each was responded to by saying they couldn't find anything to rent. Near the end of June I told them I expected my property back and that if they couldn't find a place they need to rent a storage space for all their treasures and find a cheap place to live. About the end of June she emailed me and said they planned to stay with a friend and put their stuff in storage.

I checked the place out the beginning of July and there was no progress. I posted notice, and then when there was no action I filed for eviction. The 86 year old countered the claim but didn't understand that it wasn't about money just possession. We had a court date but I was out of town so my attorney rescheduled court. In the mean time, my attorney gets a call from the tenant's attorney. She filed bankruptcy. My attorney was concerned that it would drag out while we petitioned to get out of the bankruptcy because we didn't want money, just possession. The one good thing that happened was she offered to move out Aug 5th. We happily agreed. The attorney asked if I wanted to schedule with the sheriff for the set-out. I said I would wait and see.

I went in on August 3 and they had done nothing but purchase a bunch of packing material. I called attorney to notify the sheriff to get on the sheriff's schedule. They were about 8-9 days out so I scheduled it for Aug 12 thinking she would surely be out by then. She promised she would be out the 7th in the evening. I visited the evening of the 10th and NO progress but she promised they had a truck coming Wed (12th) and would be out by 5pm.

I started calling movers and labor services. I was clearly behind the curve and it was going to cost me about $1,000 to get enough people there to move her stuff out in the 2 hours that the Denver Sheriff allows for eviction but they didn't have availability until the next week.

I rescheduled with the Sheriff for today (Aug 19) and hired a moving company to bring 8 guys to do the set out. I contacted her (Wed 12th) and asked for the keys like she had promised. She was not done yet but would be done Friday.

She contacted me Friday and needed more time she could do Sat or Sunday. I offered 5 pm on Sunday. After all, if she moves all her stuff out I don't have to pay movers to do it. 

Got another email Sunday how about Monday night to get the keys?

I got another one Monday night, "we'll be out by noon on Wed".

I confirmed that the movers and the Sheriff would be there on Wed (Aug 19). We showed up at 9 am today. The tenant was very mad and called me every name in the book. I've never heard a 86 year old lady swear like a sailor. The daughter threatened me physically as well as swearing at me. The deputy kept telling them to stay back and stay away. 8 guys worked for an hour to move the remaining items in the house to the exterior. I have a pretty thick skin but this was an overall unpleasant experience. The good thing is I now have control of my property. They actually got some good help moving their stuff out of the house despite their lousy attitude. When I left, they were loading the last of their possessions into a moving truck. They told the deputy that they had filled two large storage units and now were putting stuff at a friends.

I also found out she had some sons who refused to help her. What a mess! Hopefully that drama is behind me and I can re-sell the property for a profit. 

Thanks for listening by those that understand.

Reliant Real Estate, Inc. Logo

Loading replies...