Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Banks
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waukegan, IL
Votes |
How do you handle damage found during tenancy?

Arthur Banks
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waukegan, IL
Posted Aug 24 2015, 07:52

I was in the basement of my unit last weekend and I could hear the tenants children running and jumping and banging.  This led me to believe maybe I need to check things out.  I didn't do any inspection during tenancy on the last tenant, mainly because they had a toddler (maybe 2 y/o) and they ALWAYS had their curtains and blinds open. I could see in every window as I did basic maintenance.  Not to mention they would always let me know if the slightest thing was wrong.  Not demanding the item be repaired right away. Just FYI's such as "Hey Arthur just wanted to let you know the bedroom closet is off track again. No rush. Just wanted you to know."  But the current tenant NEVER opens her curtains.  

So for those of you who find damage while doing your inspections (monthly, quarterly, annual or whatever) of your rentals, how do you handle the repair?  Do you require the tenant to fix right away?  Do you fix and bill/have tenant pay right away?  Do you wait until the end of the lease and assess all damage and repair and charge accordingly? (I won't be waiting until the end of lease. I can tell you that.)  I want to set a standard now.  I've set a time to do an inspection with the tenant present so I can immediately address any issue(s) that I find.

As I'm thinking about it, she never turned in her Move-In checklist (which I reminded her ONCE to get in).  I did take pics and video of the unit after turn over before she moved in.

Loading replies...