New tenant wants to hang big pot/pan rack above kitchen counter

5 Replies

A new tenant just moved into my rental house (year lease signed).  He asked if he could hang a rack above the kitchen counter to hang pots and pans on it.  I told him I need to think about it.  Am I being unreasonable if I tell him he cant?  I know this rack needs to be fastened into the trusses or brackets tied to the trusses.  I just finished doing a really good paint job on the whole house , and feel if they leave in a year its going to leave 4 massive holes in the ceiling which will need to be filled and now the whole ceiling will need repainting. 

I almost want to say if you want to hang it, its going to be a professional person go in the attic and add in proper bracing to hold the rack (at renters expense) and when you leave the rack stays.

What would you do?     

I would go with your gut. Professionally installed and tenant either must restore to original condition or leave the rack upon move-out.

@Kevin McDonald

IF you allow it, definitely insist that it be done by a professional. Also get in writing that it will need to be left (if you are cool with that) or returned to the original condition. If they opt to return it to the original condition, get the estimate for restoring it and collect that money now. If the tenant is not good with that then don't do it, you would probably get jammed up later. If you let them just promise to restore it later without paying for it now, you will likely be taking it out of the security deposit you have already collected. That is not good because it means you are not really carrying a full security any more which is not good business.

Also, check with your local landlord/tenant laws or someone who is familiar with them because there may be issues with taking payment now depending on how you structure it. For example, some places limit the amount you collect for a security deposit so if this is structered so as to look like you are adding to the security deposit you could be in violation.

Ed

Is it an improvement that you think is worth having in the property? If so, get your handiman or whomever to give them a quote and let them pay to upgrade your unit! You could be even nicer and pay yourself if you think it's a worthwhile upgrade...

Bryan O.

Explain to him that once it is attached to the property, it is a fixture and is now part of the property. So he will not be able to remove it and take it with him when he leaves.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353) and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

Explain to him that once it is attached to the property, it is a fixture and is now part of the property. So he will not be able to remove it and take it with him when he leaves.

this is just silly.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.