Maintenance costs are for real!

2 Replies

So this last week one of my tenant's called from the building my wife and I just closed on three months ago. The kitchen sink wasn't draining, so I headed over like a good landlord. I started taking the p trap off, and then the galvanized pipe broke in the wall... awesome...

One call to a contact from the local REIA to get a handy man/plumber, and $290 later the sink is back in operation.

Lesson learned! Operating costs happen, and you can't fix everything yourself!

Ooh.  Been there @John Warren !  I just whip out the old hole saw, gain access and grab a rubber coupler or nut it together.  I patch the under the sink whole with vinyl or something easy.  Insulate it while you're there and just vinyl the whole back.  More water-proof anyway!  Jury-rigging will come with time.

I just paid a plumber $351 yesterday to retro-install a backflow check valve on a sewer line, so I'm not against paying a pro when necessary, but seems like everybody prefers to just sit back and stroke big checks these days.     Don't give up on trying things yourself! Us DIYer's are a dyeing breed!

You probably could of used a small snake to clear the drain. Also there is this product called thrift you use it with hot water and it works most of the time.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.