Jennifer Davila
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Home Partners of America f/k/a Hyperion Homes Not a good Program

Jennifer Davila
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Sep 4 2015, 09:17

Hello All,

This is my first time on a forum, but I am so frustrated with my situation with Home Partners that I felt it necessary to write.  I have been renting with them for about a month and the process to get anything fixed is a NIGHTMARE!  When we initially applied with their company, we were never provided a copy of the proposed lease agreement.  I was informed that once they contracted the property (so they could purchase it) I would need to overnight my security deposit (so they could use it towards their costs for purchase as per the documents they had me sign, crazy right?!).  I liked the house so much and I had already sold my place that I agreed.

When they were finally ready to close (they moved back my move in date because they had to do "repairs" which were delayed because of their closing date), I finally rec'd a copy of the 60 page (that's correct) lease agreement.  I'm a real estate closer, so when your terms have to be written on 60 pages, there's a LOT of fine print you have to look out for.  I was only given 48 hours to review and send out my pro-rated rent.  I had only seen the house ONCE and my agent never explained that during that walk through I would not be able to see the place again until the move in.

I asked to see the house, but they wouldn't allow me to, the property management company Pathlight said it was against Home Partner's rules.  I don't know about you, but I would like to see that all is in the same order before I move in.  I finally got the code the night before (the NIGHT as in the p.m. as in after 6 p.m.) to go into the property, this was a Friday night.  What did I find - the roof had been leaking and the drywall in the ceiling of the master bedroom and den had been soaked through and the house smelled damp (apart from other minor things like the dishwasher and microwave were missing, there was a chip on the floor, the front door didn't close properly because of the rain, etc).  When I contacted the property management company, they were closed because it was a weekend.  I left a voicemail on their answering service and no one called me back until Monday.  This all started in August 2015.

As of today, the ceiling has still not been repaired (they were supposed to replace the roof before we moved in, but they waited so long that it rained all through the month and it couldn't get fixed until 2 weeks after we moved in).  Now that the roof has been replaced it took another 2 weeks for another contractor to come out and say they couldn't fix the drywall because it appeared the roof was still leaking.  Now I have to wait until the roofer can come out.  My husband and I own rental properties, unfortunately we couldn't move in to any of them because they were not in the neighborhood we wanted to stay in.  I sold my home and wasn't able to find another house to purchase before my move out day, so I settled for renting.  What I thought would be a good experience turned out to be a nightmare - our tenants who pay MUCH CHEAPER than we do get treated better with a faster turn around than we have.

My experience has been horrible, the process is NOT streamlined and God forbid any repairs exceed $500 - then you have to wait until the contractor bids out the work before it gets fixed (It's been 2 days since my hot water heater has not worked - I hope the bid doesn't cost over $500!  Otherwise I'll be boiling water to give my daughters a bath, in a half a million dollar home.)

Loading replies...