Home Partners of America f/k/a Hyperion Homes Not a good Program

18 Replies

Hello All,

This is my first time on a forum, but I am so frustrated with my situation with Home Partners that I felt it necessary to write.  I have been renting with them for about a month and the process to get anything fixed is a NIGHTMARE!  When we initially applied with their company, we were never provided a copy of the proposed lease agreement.  I was informed that once they contracted the property (so they could purchase it) I would need to overnight my security deposit (so they could use it towards their costs for purchase as per the documents they had me sign, crazy right?!).  I liked the house so much and I had already sold my place that I agreed.

When they were finally ready to close (they moved back my move in date because they had to do "repairs" which were delayed because of their closing date), I finally rec'd a copy of the 60 page (that's correct) lease agreement.  I'm a real estate closer, so when your terms have to be written on 60 pages, there's a LOT of fine print you have to look out for.  I was only given 48 hours to review and send out my pro-rated rent.  I had only seen the house ONCE and my agent never explained that during that walk through I would not be able to see the place again until the move in.

I asked to see the house, but they wouldn't allow me to, the property management company Pathlight said it was against Home Partner's rules.  I don't know about you, but I would like to see that all is in the same order before I move in.  I finally got the code the night before (the NIGHT as in the p.m. as in after 6 p.m.) to go into the property, this was a Friday night.  What did I find - the roof had been leaking and the drywall in the ceiling of the master bedroom and den had been soaked through and the house smelled damp (apart from other minor things like the dishwasher and microwave were missing, there was a chip on the floor, the front door didn't close properly because of the rain, etc).  When I contacted the property management company, they were closed because it was a weekend.  I left a voicemail on their answering service and no one called me back until Monday.  This all started in August 2015.

As of today, the ceiling has still not been repaired (they were supposed to replace the roof before we moved in, but they waited so long that it rained all through the month and it couldn't get fixed until 2 weeks after we moved in).  Now that the roof has been replaced it took another 2 weeks for another contractor to come out and say they couldn't fix the drywall because it appeared the roof was still leaking.  Now I have to wait until the roofer can come out.  My husband and I own rental properties, unfortunately we couldn't move in to any of them because they were not in the neighborhood we wanted to stay in.  I sold my home and wasn't able to find another house to purchase before my move out day, so I settled for renting.  What I thought would be a good experience turned out to be a nightmare - our tenants who pay MUCH CHEAPER than we do get treated better with a faster turn around than we have.

My experience has been horrible, the process is NOT streamlined and God forbid any repairs exceed $500 - then you have to wait until the contractor bids out the work before it gets fixed (It's been 2 days since my hot water heater has not worked - I hope the bid doesn't cost over $500!  Otherwise I'll be boiling water to give my daughters a bath, in a half a million dollar home.)

When water heaters stop working it's usually a power issue or the master t-stat reset on the upper element.  Check the breaker panel.  If the breaker isn't tripped, then the upper element reset is needed.  Pull off the cover and push the red button.  

Sorry, but this whole thing sounded like a scam from the beginning.  I would live in a shack on the south side of shade before I dealt with a co that required me to overnight money.   Hopefully it will get better for you @Jennifer Davila !

Hyperion came to our office about a year ago, when they were opening up in FL. Everything sounded okay, standard, except for;  they would not give me a copy of the agreement the end buyers would sign, even though when pressured in their meeting, said they would.  And yes, the lease purchaser sees it at the end, with48 hours to execute.  For this reason alone, I never promoted their program.  Funny thing is, I contacted somet agents in other states who were promoting them, and had already closed 4-5 each.  When I asked how onesided the lease-purchase agreement was their responses were "I never thought to ask to see it".  I was like, "really, you're promoting something you haven't even read, really?".  Some agents just don't care.

Originally posted by @Jennifer Davila :

Hello All,

This is my first time on a forum, but I am so frustrated with my situation with Home Partners that I felt it necessary to write.  I have been renting with them for about a month and the process to get anything fixed is a NIGHTMARE!  When we initially applied with their company, we were never provided a copy of the proposed lease agreement.  I was informed that once they contracted the property (so they could purchase it) I would need to overnight my security deposit (so they could use it towards their costs for purchase as per the documents they had me sign, crazy right?!).  I liked the house so much and I had already sold my place that I agreed.

When they were finally ready to close (they moved back my move in date because they had to do "repairs" which were delayed because of their closing date), I finally rec'd a copy of the 60 page (that's correct) lease agreement.  I'm a real estate closer, so when your terms have to be written on 60 pages, there's a LOT of fine print you have to look out for.  I was only given 48 hours to review and send out my pro-rated rent.  I had only seen the house ONCE and my agent never explained that during that walk through I would not be able to see the place again until the move in.

I asked to see the house, but they wouldn't allow me to, the property management company Pathlight said it was against Home Partner's rules.  I don't know about you, but I would like to see that all is in the same order before I move in.  I finally got the code the night before (the NIGHT as in the p.m. as in after 6 p.m.) to go into the property, this was a Friday night.  What did I find - the roof had been leaking and the drywall in the ceiling of the master bedroom and den had been soaked through and the house smelled damp (apart from other minor things like the dishwasher and microwave were missing, there was a chip on the floor, the front door didn't close properly because of the rain, etc).  When I contacted the property management company, they were closed because it was a weekend.  I left a voicemail on their answering service and no one called me back until Monday.  This all started in August 2015.

As of today, the ceiling has still not been repaired (they were supposed to replace the roof before we moved in, but they waited so long that it rained all through the month and it couldn't get fixed until 2 weeks after we moved in).  Now that the roof has been replaced it took another 2 weeks for another contractor to come out and say they couldn't fix the drywall because it appeared the roof was still leaking.  Now I have to wait until the roofer can come out.  My husband and I own rental properties, unfortunately we couldn't move in to any of them because they were not in the neighborhood we wanted to stay in.  I sold my home and wasn't able to find another house to purchase before my move out day, so I settled for renting.  What I thought would be a good experience turned out to be a nightmare - our tenants who pay MUCH CHEAPER than we do get treated better with a faster turn around than we have.

My experience has been horrible, the process is NOT streamlined and God forbid any repairs exceed $500 - then you have to wait until the contractor bids out the work before it gets fixed (It's been 2 days since my hot water heater has not worked - I hope the bid doesn't cost over $500!  Otherwise I'll be boiling water to give my daughters a bath, in a half a million dollar home.)

I'm sorry for what you had gone through. When we moved in we questioned black mold they covered up. No ac in Texas, plumbing issues and so on. Per our home inspection this home should NEVER of passed! My family and I have had our lives turned upside down and I have taken VERY ILL due to the mold, Even at that they don't care and only want to do bare minimum and were trying to skirt on that. BUT WAIT WHERE IS YOUR RENT???? Not we have made arrangements for you and family to move to a SAFE location and we are very sorry. Its lets try to cover up, get as much money out of you and who cares about anything in-between They will say anything to make themselves look good BUT IN THE END they don't/wont do a single thing to help you and your family get your lifes back to were it was before they put you in a home that was UNSAFE!!!!! RENT PLEASE & DONT CALL US WELL CALL YOU!!!!.  

@Wayne Brooks   sounds like a massive implosion is about to happen to these boys.

I would think the tenants would simply offer their rent to the court. and demand the fix's and or use their rent to do the fix's and offset rent..

big company has big liability this would be the one case I could see an aggressive lawyer taking them on   on a contingency and going for a big reward.

Wow Rebecca, I am SO sorry to hear about your situation.  I hope you get better very soon!!  This sounds like something the courts should handle.  Please keep us posted as to your health, that is the most important thing of all!!

My landlord was selling the house we were renting and I attempted to purchase but because I had just started my own business the mortgage had fallen through.  I found Home Partners and they purchased the home from my landlord.   I did send Home Partners the deposit but did NOT sign the updated Lease/Purchase Agreement because I was very uneasy with the terms. We are still living in the home and I have paid the rent for this month but still have not executed the Lease/Purchase Agreement.  I'm seriously considering moving, since the Lease/Purchase Agreement was never consummated what is their recourse?

***SCAMMD LIBERTY REALTORS Lori Aguirre** ********HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA***** ******** PATH LIGHT MANAGEMENT********

Feb 1, 2016

• 0 Likes
  • 0 Comments

***SCAMMED HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA LIBERTY REALTORS MCKINRY PATH LIGHT MANAGEMENT*****

I would NEVER recommend this realtor to anyone I know or do not know. We were convinced that fixing a few things on credit due to bad divorce is best so in the meantime we could purchase a home through Home Partners Of America with Pathlight Management as the company to deligate repairs and monthly payments. We were told when we asked about home inspection prior to purchase that the investor Home Partners and their Management company will handle all that. As it states o their website they do the inspection and do not purchase homes with pre existing problems such as mold etc. The realtor and assistant stated to us when we questioned about home(Owners daughter just moved out a few months ago) come to find out from the neighbors as we are the laughing joke not jus in the neighborhood but town the home had been vacant for almost 3years due to so many issues related to the home. Shotly after move in I started to become very ill and then housebound. Could not think, see, hard to understand me when I spoke rashes burning itching all over from scalp down. Very tired but cant sleep do to wanting to crawl out of skin, no longer can drive with no family neighbors pitch in to help with son groceries and meals. before moving in we came to the home questioned downstairs bedroom/office (work from Home) not anymore since this all started. We were told that was due to clogged gutters and dirt from vacancy. Painted over. After almost two weeks or so of living in home Path lights inspector came to due walk through and we stressed our concerns since walls were turning again and we were told "this will be reported and addressed ASAP" NOTHING I shortly after move in became ill and then worse and worse n Doctor could figure it out . I even flew to California to the University of LA to see if someone could help me. @ days prior o leaving a neighbor out of concern came over to ask me if I had ever gotten the walls in the downstairs/home office addressed. If not they are truly concerned and recommend for us to have it tested threw a likened state analyst for black mold. When I came back from California and the few days I was out f the home I stopped itching brain fog was diminishing and I could walk and see things better some. Results came in and two of the worst types TOXIC BLACK MOLD!!!! Funny Home Partners Of America/Path light and realtor contact you once you report to them the news "O WWE ARE SO SORRY WE WANT TO HELP IN ANY WAY" then nothing!!!! You put your SAVING INTO FIXING UP THE HOME THINKING YOU ARE GOING TO PURCHASE AT YEAR MARK. Nope they don't care you cant work you lost all that money medical bills stacking up marriage is in shamble and you no longer are that parent who was once involved. you are advised you have to leave your home which splits your family (YOUR WHOLE WORLD) and they don't care!!!!! Realtor wont return calls nor help to relocate you as they made their commission and P.S. buy the way we will take your call if YOU PAY MORTGAGE!!!!! Hired home inspector because no one will give you a copy of the one they state on website and to you that was done. So out of your [pocket AGAIN more money you come to find out the home has Toxic Black Mold in more that just the locations than the two areas Quest Analytics (HIGHLY RECOMMED GREAT CO.) not anyone of them care nor will they have a full home testing done. In the mean time you NEW OF A WONDERFUL LIFE 8MO. AGO and NOW its all torn to shreds they don't care. WHERE IS ARE RENT??? This realtor new that this home did not pass inspection so did Home Partners ad the contractor and Pathlight Management BUT they put us in the home thinking WILL ALL PROFIT!!!!n PER OUR HOME INSPECTION 3 DAYS AGO THIS HOUSE IS NOT PASSABLE AND UNSAFE!!!! Your LIFE MEANS NOTHING
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

Sent from Windows Mail

We were convinced that fixing a few things on credit due to bad divorce is best so in the meantime we could purchase a home through Home Partners Of America with Pathlight Management as the company to deligate repairs and monthly payments. We were told when we asked about home inspection prior to purchase that the investor *Home Partners of America* and their Management company *Path Light Property Management* will handle all that. As it states on their website they do the inspection and do not purchase homes with pre existing problems such as mold etc. The realtor and her assistant stated to us when we questioned about the home (Owners daughter just moved out a few months ago) come to find out from the neighbors as we are the laughing joke not just in the neighborhood but the town, the home had been vacant for almost 3years. Due to so many issues related to the home. Shotly after move in I started to become very ill and then housebound. Could not think, see, hard to understand me when I spoke I basically thought I was dying and NO DOCTOR could figure out what was wrong!!! Rashes all over my body from scalp down, BURNING, ITCHING, stabbing. Very tired but cant sleep due to wanting to crawl out of my skin. I could no longer drive. With no family neighbors pitched in to help with my son, groceries and meals. Before moving in we went to the home while the contractors were doing the make ready. We questioned downstairs office in regards t the beveling of the wall as if someone was inside and trying to get out. We questioned the black coming out of the cracks and opposite wall with black draining out of cable jack? We were told that was due to clogged gutters and dirt from vacancy. Painted over. After almost two weeks or so of living in home ***(All 3 AC units out!!! No dishwasher NOT EVEN BOLTED IN, Oven not working, Plumbing issued ETC.)***Path lights inspector came to due walk through and we stressed our concerns since walls were turning again and we were told "this will be reported and addressed ASAP" NOTHING!!!! Shortly after move in became ill and then worse and worse no Doctor could figure it out . I even flew to California to the University Irvine to see if someone could help me. 2 days prior to leaving a neighbor out of concern came over to ask me if I had ever gotten the walls in the home office addressed. If not they are truly concerned and recommend for us to have it tested threw a licensed state analyst for black mold. When I came back from California the results came in and two of the worst types TOXIC BLACK MOLD!!!! I HAD BEEN POISONED!!!! Funny Home Partners Of America/Path light Property Management contact you once you report to them the news "O WE ARE SO SORRY WE WANT TO HELP IN ANY WAY" then nothing!!!! You put your SAVINGS INTO FIXING UP THE HOME THINKING YOU ARE GOING TO PURCHASE AT YEAR MARK. Nope they don't care!!!! You cant work!!!! You lost all that money and medical bills stacking up, marriage is in shamble, and you no longer are that parent who was once involved. With no family or friends to stay with you are advised you have to leave your home which splits your family APART (YOUR WHOLE WORLD) and they don't care!!!!! Realtor wont return calls nor help to relocate you as they made their commission and P.S. buy the way we will take your call if YOU PAY MORTGAGE!!!!! So I hired a home inspector because no one will give you a copy of **(SO CALLED ORIGANAL)** the one they state on website the do prior to home purchase, and also to you that was done. So out of your **(YOUR POCKET)** AGAIN more money!! You come to find out the home has Toxic Black Mold in more that just one of the locations than the two areas you suspected!!! Quest Analytics (HIGHLY RECOMMED GREAT CO.) not anyone of them care**(HOME PARTNERS OF AMERICA?PATH LIGHT PROPERTY MANAGEMENT)** nor will they have a full home testing done. In the mean time you NEW OF A WONDERFUL LIFE 8MO. AGO and NOW its all torn to shreds they don't care. WHERE IS ARE MONEY??? THEY new that this home did not pass inspection!!!! BUT they put us in the home thinking we were despite, gullible, and they WILL ALL PROFIT!!!! PER OUR HOME INSPECTION 3 DAYS AGO ***(AGAIN MORE MONEY OUT OF OUR POCKETS)***THIS HOUSE IS NOT PASSABLE AND UNSAFE!!!! I have emails stating from a manager the dropped the ball on OTHER?MORE issues with the home. WE EVACUATE WITH NOTHING NOTHING LEFT EVERYTHING NO WHERE TO GO!!! We were then told they are so sorry they want to help ****STILL NEVER SEEN ANYTHING***** the ONLY help from them would be to take a smaller home that we would NEVER pick/NOT SUITABLE for our family*****MORE EXSPENSIVE 1/2 SIZE**** DID NOT TAKE IT! Received call to meet senior VP at home (4 guys ) show up take photos inside outside **(YES WE EVEN HAD MOLD GROWING ON OUTSIDE OF HOME)*** I was told this was the first they heard of the issue BBUUTT out of Senior VP'S mouth he states he viewed pictures and read report DATED 2 WEEKS after move in!!!! They new and chose to not do ANYTHING because they will not spend money in repairs!!! **(THAT WILL TAKE OUT OF THEIR POCKETS)**Your LIFE MEANS NOTHING!!!! They want you to sign a gage order and the ONLY concern is not to speak out and show proof!!!! MONTHS LATER WE ARE STIL LIVING IN A HOTEL AND TEHY HAVE DONE NOTHING!!!! I m still having the medical issues and life will NEVER be the same!!!!Please fix credit issue and do your own loan!!!! THEY WILL SUCK YOU DRY RIGHT TO THE CORE AND NOT EVEN BLINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE REALTORS LOVE THEM BECAUSE THE MARKET IS SLOW AND THEY ALSO PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT!!!! SAVE YOUR FAMILY, MONEY, HEARTACHE, LIFES, MARAIGE, AND EVERYTHING THAT MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU!!!!!
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

@Rebecca Potter

Post a copy of their agreement, along with the personal contact info the attorneys that drafted it, the company's CEO and the ownership and primary shareholders online on all business scam related websites, buy the .org, etc. of their business name and post a class action lawsuit proposal with full documentation, and get the BEST attorney in that demographic you can find (on contingency) specializing in defending tenants against predatory landlords... after getting full medical documentation for disclose... then (jointly, with 2+ others) SUE that despicable company into non existence... I plan to start an ETHICAL 'lease to own' company... and scumbags pulling this crap (giving rent to own, a BAD NAME) should be BEHIND BARS! And get the heck OUT of that house...then call the city, and have it CONDEMNED... to assist with your 'documentation.' (Instant, 'legal' lease breaker.) If you accomplish half of that, then they won't be operating in your state, at least... but get people to 'sue' everywhere they do business, and BANKRUPT them. ;-)))

Updated over 4 years ago

See: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/156057-single-family-homes-are-not-a-good-long-term-investment And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Ranieri This guy 'Lew' (founder of Hyperiod Homes = Home Partners) was also part of the 'sub- prime, mortgage crisis,' apparently? See: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/156057-single-family-homes-are-not-a-good-long-term-investment And: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-06/blackrock-kkr-take-majority-stake-in-ranieri-rental-firm.html

Updated over 4 years ago

Does this make any, logical sense??? https://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/real-estate-agents/home-partners-of-america-in-chicago-il-88710948 (i.e. Not BBB accredited, 17 complaints, but 9/13 above, rated 4/5 stars? HOW are they listed as 4/5... because they are now no longer members?? DEMAND that be CHANGED... as it says A+ vs. F- !) Looks like they are now in 21 US states: https://homepartners.com/

Updated over 4 years ago

This guy used to work for Solomon Brothers, in NYC: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20100627/ANNIVERSARY/100619865/lew-ranieri-and-the-road-to-hell A (former) friend of mine committed SUICIDE after some NYC 'sub primer' name "Dante" talked her into a 'variable rate' mortgage that cost her her home in 2011 (after the bankster staged 2008 'correction') in Carmel, California. Well at least 'Lew' ought to be worth a hundred mil +/- until he gets sued???

@Jennifer Davila

Here's the founder of HomePartners.com: (He helped 'erode Glass- Steagall banking regulation co-created 'mortgage backed securities' and is now into the very (lease to own) 'rentals' the banks scammed with KKR, etc. (Most likely very typical for these 'bank created' institutions that bought- up homes, etc. after they were foreclosed on... while keeping the prices high, following the bankster's latest 'bubble reinflation,' post 2008?) And of course the DTC, DTCC and Cede and Co. now own 98%+ of North American mortgages after their numerous staged 'crashes' in the last century plus... but I digress.)

"Mr. Ranieri, who now runs several businesses that invest in real estate and mortgages.

He started at Salomon as a part-time mail-room clerk in 1968, rising to become a vice chairman. He devoted four years to creating the first residential mortgage-backed security, which debuted in 1978, and spent much of the next six years shuttling to Washington and getting federal laws changed to make selling the securities easier. In his meetings with lawyers, regulators and elected officials, Mr. Ranieri often crossed paths with another financial innovator who was trying to get a new product off the ground: Michael (Bilkin) Milken, the father of the modern junk-bond market.
“I think we both know more ways to get rejected than anybody,” Mr. Ranieri says.
It didn't take long for Salomon to find another use for the securitization concept: financing commercial mortgages for office buildings, apartment houses and shopping malls. Salomon's first CMBS deal was a small affair, in which it sold $25 million in mortgages for a now-defunct bank. But by the mid-1980s, Mr. Ranieri and his team raised nearly $1 billion through a CMBS transaction for Olympia & York, one of the largest developers in the world at the time..." From mail room clerk, to Vice Chairman of Saloman.

"Mr. Ranieri's influence manifested itself in the commercial market in other ways, too, as traders from Salomon's thriving mortgage desk dispersed to play prominent roles elsewhere.
Among them was Andy Stone, who landed at the Manhattan office of Daiwa Securities in 1990 and took the market in another new direction. He started buying up loans on mobile homes and apartment houses from Resolution Trust Corp. in Washington and packaging them into securities.
The RTC had been set up by the government in 1989 to take over mountains of soured loans from failed savings and loans. Mr. Stone and others purchased those loans for pennies on the dollar, then bundled and sold them to investors at a profit. “Andy was brilliant,” Mr. Ranieri says. “He was always taking it to the next level...”

Please see the linked articles I previously posted on this thread, for quotation references.

I also am leasing a home through Home Partners and it has been a complete nightmare.  We never intended to buy the home because that part of the program is a total scam.  However, I naively thought that we could use the leasing provisions to secure a better rental in our area.  My city has a shortage of quality rental homes and demand is high.  BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.

I sincerely doubt that they do any kind of inspection on these homes before they purchase them.  The types of problems we have had with our home should have been fixed if any competent inspection had been done.  For instance, they charged us $8K for a new HVAC unit on our purchase agreement.  However, the unit they put in is cheap and too small for the house.  The HVAC has never worked correctly since we've been in the home.  

They do not do any sort of repairs that cost money. They will only send handymen out and will bid out repairs costing more than $500.  They aim to do it as cheaply as possible and they do not care if the problem is actually fixed.

I am nearing the end of stay in this god awful house.  I only have three months remaining, but I am going to make sure they make all these repairs or I am going to terminate my lease early.  

@NA Harris

So what became of the Home Partners of America saga? It seems to me that they would want to do proper inspections prior to any and all acquisitions... but then again one's 'inspections' are about as good as any other 'services' you outsource, or employees you hired! Was the place mentioned, in Peachtree?? I'd love to get a hold of their (50 plus page) legalesed "contractuals," as I plan on starting a competitive venture that DOESN'T (typically) acquire the homes first, nor expect to "taking them back" 80% of the time.... prior to the ole: "wash, rinse and repeat" trickery. (But who would expect anything LESS from the founder, with his background of co- developing mortgage backed securities, etc.) There's no REASON (i.e. aside from cronyism, and GREED) that a similar business model can't be developed... and I indeed have that "plan..." if anyone reading this thread is potentially interested in "investing" in the next "disruptive" industry start- up(s) that actually BENEFIT the seller, buyer and us. (i.e. There's really no REASON to rip people off... unless of course that IS your main objective? And WHY ELSE would you have a mile long "legal speak," agreement??)  ATB :-)  Scott

Updated almost 4 years ago

Formerly known as: Hyperian Homes.com Registrant Name: Luke Pienczykowski Registrant (The Tech Manager) Organization: Ranieri Partners Management LLC Registrant Street: 650 Madison Ave Registrant Street: 20th floor Registrant City: New York Registrant State/Province: New York Registrant Postal Code: 10022 Registrant Country: US Registrant Phone: +1.2125582027

Ranieri Partners LLC is led by real estate industry and Wall Street veteran Lewis S. Ranieri. Founded in 2007, our organization has established a synergistic combination of investment strategies designed to capitalize on pricing anomalies and market dislocations across distressed sectors, as well as traditional asset classes. Our objective is to provide our clients with an integrated investment platform, offering innovative and complementary solutions across the real estate, fixed income, consumer finance and corporate finance sectors. Ranieri Partners LLC is led by real estate industry and Wall Street veteran Lewis S. Ranieri. "The owner of ranieri partners .com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website! Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites..." (Hmmm... Blocked my IP, that quickly? Or perhaps not too bright, afterall??)

Just to "liven- up" the convo: https://homepartners.com/ (i.e. Your post is now "linked." ;-)