Bad tenants - Is there a website to warn other landlords

Bad tenants - Is there a website to warn other landlords

Member since 2008 · 56 posts · 1 vote

I have a question I would like to ask.

I have been wondering, I am currently going through an eviction with a tenant and this tenant knows how to work the system. I am assuming this person has been through it before.

I would like to be able to warn others about this person and did not know if there is a website that could do this. (Legal?) I don't know if you can list names of people who work the system and try to live at places for free. Until the sheriff comes to move them out!!!

Marc
www.greenfieldent.com
Purchasing Without Competition

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
20y

One of the things I used to do back when I had rentals was to use "screeingg" clauses in my lease. I would write in clauses that had the tenant waiving their rights to notices, waiving their right to their "exempt" personal property that could be attached, etc. Each of these clauses had a separate spot for tenants to initial.

If the tenant pointed out that such clauses were illegal under such and such a part of the Texas Real Property Code, or the Texas Landlord/Tenant law, or that the "People's Lawyer" on Channel Two said it was illega, I KNEW that this guy got familiar with the law at the expense of some "sucker" landlord.

From 1980 until 2000, I had between two and 16 rentals. In all that time I did THREE EVICTIONS, and one of those moved out before the hearing. Not a bad batting average.

all cash

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 216 posts · 11 votes
    20y

    I have heard of these "professional renters" that seem great until you put them in your unit. They know exactly how to work the system for the maximum amount of free rent.

    The best system out there is the judicial system where the eviction goes on their permanent record for all to see later.

    This is why you have to do your homework before renting and run the background checks prior to renting. Theoretically, if you run the background check you will see the prior evictions. Also, you can ask for the last TWO landlords and then call the 2nd previous one. They will tell you the truth. If you just rely on the current landlord for information they could be lying to you just to get the renter out of THEIR hair.

    These parasites can pop up anywhere.

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    20y

    One of the things I used to do back when I had rentals was to use "screeingg" clauses in my lease. I would write in clauses that had the tenant waiving their rights to notices, waiving their right to their "exempt" personal property that could be attached, etc. Each of these clauses had a separate spot for tenants to initial.

    If the tenant pointed out that such clauses were illegal under such and such a part of the Texas Real Property Code, or the Texas Landlord/Tenant law, or that the "People's Lawyer" on Channel Two said it was illega, I KNEW that this guy got familiar with the law at the expense of some "sucker" landlord.

    From 1980 until 2000, I had between two and 16 rentals. In all that time I did THREE EVICTIONS, and one of those moved out before the hearing. Not a bad batting average.

    all cash

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 517 posts · 17 votes
    20y

    all cash that makes sense... but do your "screening clauses" impair your rights as a landlord? In other words, did you run into any problems evicting the 2 or 3 people you had to evict?

  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    20y

    Nope, because when it came down to it, I just used the Texas Realtor's Commission (promulgated) form. On the evictions, all were for non-payment of rent. In that case the Justice of The Peace has just one question; "Did you pay?" Answer, NO, "finding for the plaintiff".

    all cash

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Please don’t rent from KMB Properties. These landlords are disrespectful after you start renting from them. They were going to charge me from $890 up to $1,100 but they said that I could have a free parking spot. I’m parking for free right now! But I saw on the Internet that they are going to start charging $1,200 for the properties. The other issue is that if you don’t renew your rental agreement that they will harass you “every day” about having “your place cleaned and in showing condition for people coming to view it.” They also have people come over and take pictures of your place of clueless items such as your coat rack and a Christmas tree. They even tried to take pictures of my kids until I said it was illegal and then the person scurried out of my home. They don’t fix anything in the apartments that they don’t think needs replacing such as: broken dishwasher that leaks all over the floor, wood boards that are coming up from the frame but that are kept down with the carpet, fibers of carpet that are no longer in the threads so you can see the plywood flooring. These landlords are supposed to give 24-hour notice before entering the apartments and I’ve already caught them twice with no notice. There’s not supposed to be any smoking in the building and yet there have been excessive amounts of smoke coming through the vents, and so I’ve had to shut the vents off. I’ve always paid my rent on time and as well as my bills and yet I’m getting harassed because I didn’t want to renew my lease due to the increase of the rent. ---Iowa City, Iowa

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.