flooding

4 Replies

We came back from very long trip and then found my apartmnet was flooded , they drilled holes in ceilings to drain apartment above us , holes everywhere on our ceilings, made our rooms flooded, furniture damage kitchen appliance, filthy water everywhere mattresses, clothing in stores wet,  please tell me what to do next.....very rude management, big machined dehumidifiers everhwhere, we were shocked , above all they didnt even informed us befor throwing my rugs in my patiopm couches in kitnchen....broke my couch, t.v stand , cbale wires all aound......and when we got into office, they say , hey why you guys are here is everything o.k....Manager didnt know anything.....o.m.g.....we have 3 kids......such a terrible incident, everything is ruined, water got into everything...they are not letting us get out of lease, thinking to get a lawyer, how to get claim done...should i sui them...please advice...thankyou

I would talk to the Manager and have them pay for it, or get ahold of the owner. Also if you have rental ins talk to your ins company as they can go after them for all this and pay you. Then last step if all else fails talk to a lawyer....BTW start taking pics, A LOTS OF PICS...You will need proof. All your things and all holes, everything!!! 

Originally posted by @Dilpreet Singh :

I would talk to the Manager and have them pay for it, or get ahold of the owner. Also if you have rental ins talk to your ins company as they can go after them for all this and pay you. Then last step if all else fails talk to a lawyer....BTW start taking pics, A LOTS OF PICS...You will need proof. All your things and all holes, everything!!! 

Thankyou, i took all the pics and rental ins. was there also, but still want to file a lawsuit against the apartment complex,,they didnt even informed me whats goin on in my apartmen and took advantage that there were nobaody there ...we were out for 3 day trip.., they flippped my entire furniture throw away my expensive items in patio, pulled all cables wires water everywhere laptops other media tv stand destroyed...filthy water in our closets cloths soaking wet....kitchen groceries ruined, family of 5...its terrible .....how can i file law suit.....?

@HumaSiddiqui  -  So sorry to hear of your loss and situation.  Not sure exactly what type of renters policy you have,, but hopefully it includes coverage for additional living expenses.  Most times these are paid on an incurred basis, meaning you have to spend the money upfront then the insurance will reimburse you.  Please take as many photos as possible and contact your agent to get the claim process started.  If you have coverage for your additional living expenses ask the adjuster if they will advance funds to allow you to get some clothes and food.  They may can set you up with temporary housing and pay the hotel or apartment or rent house directly.   Perhaps some one on BP may have a rental which they have available.  You will also need to get the period of restoration from the apartment's contractor to know how long you will be out.  You can PM if you wish.  Good Luck and keep updating.

@Huma Siddiqui Talk to a attorney if you want to file a law suit. Most times you can get one that will talk to you for free and then tell you all about it. If I was you I would work with one that you don't have to pay and will just take a % off your cut so that way  you are not loosing for sure. 

You never you what they will try to say if law suit was filed. Most times they only have to give you an 24 hours written notices to access your unit. Plus still I think you are in the right, and should get paid.