Worst paint job

3 Replies

I'm getting my property painted in order to rent it. I left this painter I got for a week to paint. When I came back to pay him The job was half finished. The trim was not done, not painted completely around the ceiling lights, he painted the ceiling off white. Not to mention the half painted door.
Needless to say I haven't payed him rest of money yet. He will come back to finish but I insisted on being there when he does.
The property is 100 miles away from me.
Thanks for reading I just felt like to vent a little.

Hey Arthur

I'm in agreement with Justin....dump this guy and move forward.  BTW...driving 100 miles to supervise a paint job sounds like a horrible use of your time and talent....get a new contractor on your team and you will feel a million times better, trust me.

Good luck!

Brian

How did you find this painter? What kind of contract did you have with him? Was the scope of the project well defined? Did you see the quality of previous work of his before letting him do work for you?

We had a painter who did pretty good work for us over the years. Painting was one of his main gigs. He had the licensing, business name, tools and all. We had him on a house rehab job working alone. He was having a lot of back pain at the time and the quality of his work tanked. He took off frequently to go to the doctor and got on a pain med prescription. After he was "done" I had to hire someone else to redo much of his work. Turns out he couldn't  bend over low enough to do a good job on anything below his waist. He missed spots and used the wrong color in some places. He also took longer to work than had been his norm and we were paying him by the hour, so we didn't get our money's worth.

So the first thing that occurs to me is... how did you vet your painter? What is his current state of mind and body? If you review the quality of his work with him, how will he react? With proper guidance, will he be able to improve his performance? This may be a learning opportunity for both you and him. 

There is nothing wrong with trusting someone to do work for you when you are not there. But that trust needs to be earned. Trust, but verify. It all starts with clear communication from the beginning. If this is the first time you have worked with him and you are not there to oversee the work (or delegating someone else to oversee the work), then you are taking unnecessary risk. If he is not licensed, bonded and insured, then the risk is that much greater.

But don't throw good money after bad. Your contract should include a clear description of the outcome you are seeking. See if he can perform for you, but if you are not getting what you both had agreed to, then cut ties and find someone else to finish the job right.