Votes
Mason V.
  • Investor
Votes |
House hacking mistake-no lease-

Mason V.
  • Investor
Posted Oct 4 2015, 07:56

In February I decided to try housing hacking as a way of gaining additional founds for my first property. The verbal agreement was that my roommate would pay half of rent and utilities. Initially it worked until he lost his job in June. Sense then I received partial payments in July and august only. I have decided that he has been here far too long without paying me and he needs to go.

Beyond the verbal agreement, the only lease is between the land lord and me. That lease states that only 1-2 residents may reside on the premises with my name being the only one actually on the lease. I have informed my landlord about my roommate but there is no agreement between them. The lease that I have is yearly, but out verbal agreement was month to month.

Thus far I have come up with a few ideas. First is to go through the eviction process, with a lawyer, and deplete most of my savings.

Second I can see if he will leave via cash for keys.

Third I can see if he will agree to sign a contract that states he has 30 days to pay me or he will have to vacate the property.

Sense evictions do not look good on someone’s record; I should be able to get him to agree on one of the latter options. Living in Oregon i know the eviction process is stacked against me.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

Loading replies...