• Real Estate Investor
  • Bremerton, WA
Votes |
Should I fire my property manager?

Chris S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bremerton, WA
Posted Oct 10 2015, 08:22

I am an out of state military landlord with one rental. I have rented my property for the past five years with the same large multi-state brokerage with only one month of vacancy for repairs/clean up. During this time the Property Manager has left for greener pastures twice - I'm currently on my third manager who has been in charge for less than a year. 

Problem is the new manager charged a renewal fee four months ago - something the other two managers never did over three renewals on a year long lease. Moreover, the manager did it without telling me first and took the 25% fee directly from my owner proceeds check. I was left asking for an invoice on work to my rental only to find out about a renewal clause I was previously unaware of. 

Second, the manager recently hired a family member to perform plumbing work on my rental after a call from the tenant - it wasn't an emergency since our usual handyman the brokerage uses cleared the backup. The pipes needed according to the handyman - a clean out or roto-rooter service. So the manager calls the brother to do the work. Then asks me to pay the brother directly since my maintenance reserve went to the handy man. 

Should I fire this person?  How do I go about it if I should? Or do I chalk it up to inexperience and live and let live?

Thanks

Loading replies...