Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
Mold Issue In Florida -- Tenant evictions?

Susan O.
  • Fresno, CA
Posted Nov 19 2015, 13:21

Hi I'm a small time landlord and been reading BP for while.  I just have a 4-plex little apartment in the Miami dade area

I've read a lot of mold posts and I'm not sure what to do with my personal issue with the tenants.  There seems to be differing opinions on mold issues

The problem is that the building has had roof leak for while and still does. 

Well one of tenants is claiming there's mold from all these past roof leaks.  He lives there with his mother, but he's the only one on lease.

I think there were leaks and some have been fixed.  It is just hard to locate after area of leaks etc.  I've been trying to fix

What type of lawyers should I be contacting?  Also anyone have advice-- should I get a mold inspector to go in?  The one's that I've been contacting seem to want to really go in there and tear the place apart.  I just want them to test what's necessary and if it confirms no mold then let me know. Are there landlord friendly mold inspectors?  It seems like every website I've seen from mold inspectors they just cite all these potential issues and are pro-tenant.  I understand though that IF there actually is a serious mold issue then it should be treated--especially if there were black mold

My fear is that the mold inspector might go in and have incentives to really find issues and try to get himself more jobs.  From what I'm reading it seem like if you look hard enough you can find trace elements of mold in almost every home. --perhaps this is just an irrational fear.

Every time I've asked the tenant to pay he has told me that he is seeing a lawyer for the mold and a dr so he doesn't feel he needs to pay

I know this is real common in S Florida so if anyone else has experienced this please chime in

Loading replies...