• easton, pa
Votes |
tenant asking for discounted rent due 2 oven not working properly

Elizabeth Schellhammer
  • easton, pa
Posted Dec 23 2015, 07:45

Hey BP Community!

So here is the scenario:

Our tenant informed us on Monday night that their oven wasn't working properly. My husband immediately went to the unit to check it out. He agreed with the tenant that the oven was getting much hotter than the set temperature. On Tuesday morning (yesterday) he called the maintenance man, he was able to check the oven same day. He explained to us that the oven is old and the part needed to fix oven is no longer manufactured and that he advises that we invest in a new oven. Today, we are placing an order for a new oven and the tenants will have it as soon as Sears is able to deliver and install.

The particular tenant is currently going through a difficult financial time and I am expecting them to ask for a discount as they will be without a properly working oven. We addressed the problem immediately and have a new oven ordered within 48 hours of the complaint.

So my question is, If tenant does ask for a discount to the rent, what is the proper way to handle this, and what would other BP members do? I do not feel that they should get a discount as we are fixing the problem but I am curious as to what you all think.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Beth

Loading replies...