• Investor
  • Howey in the Hills, FL
Votes |
How to handle dirty, filthy, trashy tenants

Matthew B.
  • Investor
  • Howey in the Hills, FL
Posted Jan 8 2016, 08:59

Recently did a routine inspection on one of our apartment units. This was the first inspection for these tenants since they moved in. Found the place filthy. Trash everywhere, food stains throughout, toilet bowl almost black, and shower looking like something out of a horror film. This unit was just renovated prior to these tenants moving in, and was like new. I've just finished the routine inspections for all of our units, and I can honestly say this one is by far the worst.

I sent the tenant an email after the inspection letting him know the apartment was not up to our standards and according to the lease they are required to keep the unit clean and free of garbage. He responded saying cleanliness is subjective and the apartment is clean by his standards.

I've got 6 more months on this lease and they always pay rent on time. I'm wondering whether it would be better to stick it out and do a non-renewal or handle it now. Slobs are not going to change their ways no matter how many notices I give or inspections I do. But at the same time, the unit is slowly getting destroyed. Any advice?

Loading replies...