Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jenny Keffer
  • Investor
  • Greensburg, PA
Votes |
Help! Property Management Question

Jenny Keffer
  • Investor
  • Greensburg, PA
Posted Jan 20 2016, 13:22

My husband and I own one property which we hired a property management company to manage. From the beginning, it has been problems with the management company. We decided to wait until after the first of the year to take steps to eliminate the company.

The company selected the tenant and the lease began in July. Rent is due the 1st of each month and the property management company then mails us a rent check towards the end of the month (in case of repairs throughout the month.)

At the end of November, the rent (due Nov. 1) never came. Two weeks into December, I asked where the rent check was? The company said the check must be lost in the mail and mailed another check.

At the end of December, same thing...no rent check. A week into January, I ask where is the rent for December?

The property management company ignored me for two days then said the renter never paid December's rent...or January's. They had not noticed that December was not paid until I called them.

They said they would go to the magistrate. For several days, she kept saying she would go to the magistrate (it is in the contract for them to do so.) Then she received a check from the tenant for December (but none for January) with a letter promising that January's rent would come the following week.

The next week comes...no rent Friday. I ask...did you go to the magistrate? No, we had another property emergency. Monday...I ask, did you go to the magistrate? No, it's a holiday but we're going first thing in the morning. Tuesday, did you go to the magistrate? They ignored me. Wednesday...did you go to the magistrate? No, we were busy Tuesday. And today we thought we'd wait until the mail came and see if they send the rent. Meanwhile, the rent is 3 weeks late, $200 in late fees, and February's rent almost due. I asked them to forward the copy of the tenant's lease to me for my lawyer. They agreed but have not done so.

First of all, I do have a call into my lawyer. What are my options for proceeding at this point? I want to fire the property management company and proceed to the magistrate myself and take over the handling of the property myself. The property management company has exhibited negligence and is in violation of their contract multiple times over.

All advice appreciated!

Loading replies...