• Real Estate Agent
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
My first section 8 "inspection"

Ross Bernard
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Durham, NC
Posted Mar 3 2016, 14:11

I had my first annual inspection on my first section 8 property recently. The initial inspection failed and required a few minor repairs plus carpet cleaning. The carpet was filthy in several areas so I decided to just replace it all as it looked long overdue. The repairs I did myself. The day for the re-inspection came...and went, without the inspector showing up. 

I called the inspector and the following conversation took place:

Me: Hey, we had an inspection scheduled today with you, will you still be able to make it?

Inspector: Yea...let's see here. What happened was...I called the tenant and...um...she never answered. But anyway, what repairs did you make?

Me: [lists all the repairs] and I replaced all the carpet.

Inspector: You replaced all the carpet?! You are the man! Well I'll give the tenant a call tomorrow.

Me: (I'm the man...?) So do I have to worry about the next check coming?

Inspector: No, you are all fine on your end.

The inspector never called my tenant either the day of re-inspection nor the day after. He never performed the re-inspection. I got a letter a few days later from the housing authority notifying me that an inspection had taken place on the day it was scheduled and that it had passed. Is this kind of thing common with section 8 inspectors?

Loading replies...