Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Would you rent to this person with a past bankruptcy?

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Mar 21 2016, 06:58

They didn't mention it on the phone, only mentioned that they went down to "Zero" when the real estate bubble burst a few years ago.

He gave me a detailed run down of his story (of course it's difficult to verify any of it). He said they have learned their lesson and have downsized their lifestyles, and they had a $6,500 a month mortgage payment before. I will note they showed up in an 80K Cadillac truck, and a 50K Chevy pick up (he has his own construction business, she is a stay at home mom). 

I'm a bit hesitant. They do have an existing landlord for the past 3 years, though who knows if he tells me the truth if I call, he may just be trying to get them out. I could ask for an additional deposit.

I will say as much as I want to say no due to the fact that they know how to game the system and are still living a life of lavish cars and houses (renting/leasing all probably) and his income is tied to the construction industry, so a down turn = problems.

Then again, they were OK with the additional rent for them and their pets, which is extra profit...assuming they don't screw me. On the plus side if they don't screw me, they will likely be here a long time. Almost every rental in my neighborhood is only occupied for a year before it turns. 91% of people here are homeowners, it's a highly educated, high income area, so usually when you find renters they are only temporary.

Loading replies...