• Investor
  • Turtle Creek, PA
Votes |
PM said ok to let tenant move "stuff" in, then they slept there

Carolyn Keller
  • Investor
  • Turtle Creek, PA
Posted Mar 30 2016, 13:00

Unknown to me, property manager said ok to tenant to move some larger furniture in 5 days before start of signed lease. I found out when house alarm went off at 2, 3 or 6 am. Tenant moved stuff in, had keys, and decided to sleep there. No utilities in their name, no first months rent yet. I hear tenants asking to move in early is common. PM getting pro-rated rent for actually, 7 days, and utilities switched already, early. and at some point ill be reimbursed for the days of utilities they used. (after a few angry emails)

But my question really is, by PM saying this so early on, could misunderstandings with tenant continue? Does this set the tone so to speak? and really as an owner what is the best practice when dealing with the PM's? I find if i don't call them for a week or so, they are not calling me. Then when i do call oh by the way, a pipe under porch burst, and oh there's a gas leak from stove.  (1 week later) finally i had to call a licensed plumber for the gas leak under my home warranty and PM re-connected pipe that was leaking. I thought having a PM would mean hands-off, apparently not the case.  Any general advice, would be really appreciated!

Loading replies...