• Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
buying property with section 8 tenant - california

Larry Hucks
  • Wholesaler
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Posted Apr 19 2016, 22:43

Hi BP Family,

I have opened escrow on an investment property in California. There is currently a tenant in the property that rents section 8, and per the signed contract between the seller and I, they have already given her a 90 day notice to vacate. Part of the agreement is that she will be in the property when we close escrow, as the 90 day notice will not be up by the time we close escrow. I also have the choice of negotiating a lease with her if I would like, but after looking into section 8 housing, it is not something I want to do and I would like to rent to someone on the free market. What are my options here? I know I can't be forced to rent to the current tenant, but I am worried about a situation where the tenant would not leave the house and I would have go down the path of eviction. The tenant is currently month to month and has been at the property for a few years. I can't be forced to rent to that tenant, right? Especially since I am not even a section 8 approved landlord (and I will not be applying to be one)

What is the best way to go about it during escrow? Should I just wait it out? Or should I try to contact the tenant's case manager? The tenant is aware of the 90 day notice but I am new to the situation and I am not sure about what I am supposed to do as the future landlord. Any help is appreciated as I am a bit worried about the situation.

Thanks

Loading replies...