Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Tenant wants to break lease and has a friend to inherit lease...

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted May 18 2016, 19:00

So I got a phone call from a tenant who is six months into a one year lease, she is moving in with a boy friend.

Lease has an early termination fee of two month's rent.  I am holding a security deposit and last month's rent totally two month's worth of rent.

Now, she said she has a buddy who would love to move into her place, and is ready to move whenever she moves out, even same day.  Her "buddy" is willing to sign a lease for the balance of the lease term, or a new one year lease.  She wants me to waive the early termination fee because she found a replacement tenant.

Now, I said I am glad you found a candidate, but there is no way I can turn around and rent to her the same day.  I need to go through the entire apartment and evaluate what needs to be cleaned and repaired after she moves out.  I need to screen the new tenant.  I may raise rent.  I may have to repaint and/or change out the blinds.  If all that takes two weeks then she is responsible for the two weeks of lost rent.

What is your experience with a replacement tenant recommended by a tenant breaking a lease?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Anything I should watch out for?

Loading replies...