How To Find Local Landlord/Tenant Laws!!

5 Replies

How do you look up latest specific laws, rules and regulations that your state, city, municipality maintains??

When you're asking questions of whether or not you can charge a pet deposit for a service animal....

Or are you required to pay interest on security deposit and when is it enforced....?

Or any other million random question of the crazy scenarios we run into.....

Appreciate the experiential feedback!!

Join your local apartment association, is the best way to keep up with law changes that I know of.

And just a note: you might want to cut back on your use of question marks and exclamation marks.  It makes you look kind of crazy.  Sorry to be so blunt, and of course you're free to ignore me.

Promotion
Avail
Landlording made easy.
Best-in-Class Platform for DIY Landlords
List unlimited units, screen tenants, draft and sign leases, and collect rent—all free.
Use Avail—Free!

@Sue K. I'm considering joining NARPM, but it's not like a single resource I can look up answers to specific questions.

you can b as blunt as you want, as long as you keep up the good feedback. Apparently you're not appreciating my copywriter side.....!!

Originally posted by @Atwan Kwan :

@Sue Kelly I'm considering joining NARPM, but it's not like a single resource I can look up answers to specific questions.

you can b as blunt as you want, as long as you keep up the good feedback. Apparently you're not appreciating my copywriter side.....!!

LOL!!!????????? Just trying to be helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

@Atwan Kwan , Sue's suggestion of joining your local apartment association is an excellent way to keep up with the new landlord-tenant laws. They may even offer updated forms you can use which have already been subject to review by their legal department. You also should check your state's Department of Consumer Affairs under tenant-landlord law, rights, etc, which explains those laws in plain English. Of course, you can check with the actual statutes under real estate, landlord tenant law - but who has time to decipher those!

Good luck!