Durable, Hardwood Floor that won't break the bank

Durable, Hardwood Floor that won't break the bank

Accountant · Midvale, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I'm curious what people's experience has been with different types of floors (mainly hardwood but other types as well).  I'm exploring a property that I would like to live in for 1-2 years and then rent out.  Ideally, I would like to replace the floors with something that would look good while I live there but would also be durable enough when I turn it over to renters.  Anyone have any suggestions on a nice looking, durable surface.  I like the wood look but I'm open to other options as well.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

0Reply
19 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Garrett KoernerBest bet is to go with a wood look porcelain tile. Hardwood will require maintenance throughout its life. Go with a un-rectified in order to save money on installation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 111 votes
    10y

    I think it will depend on the price point.  Wood flooring is extremely popular now. I just removed a 3br house of carpet and refinished the wood floors.  The finished product clearly brought the prospective tenants out to look at the property.

    Personally, I don't like a lot of ceramic/porcelain type tile throughout.  I fall in the senior citizen category and ceramic-porcelain tile is really tough on the lower back.  I put a cork tile floor in at my own house and it is pretty comfortable.  My feet can really feel/tell the difference between between the ceramic tile and cork tiles as soon as my foot touches the surface.

    Whatever you go with, think long term.

  • Accountant · Midvale, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Lou Migliaccio @Mags S.

    Thanks y'all for the input.  Those are great suggestions and points to think about.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2016 · 253 posts · 115 votes
    10y
    Hi Garrett, I put carbonized strand woven bamboo in my rentals and it is a really tough floor. We have had dogs, cats and multiple tenants and the floor has survived just fine. It is 5 years old now and still looks good. On the other hand, I just put wood look tile throughout my house and if you have a slab floor, this is a great option. It was a commercial grade 4 porcelain which is supposed to be super durable. It is beautiful, looks like wood, but much less maintenance. Good luck!
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    If you intend it to be a rental I would only install high quality laminate. Never put wood floors in a rental, tenants can and will destroy everything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.