Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kai G.
  • Lee, NH
Votes |
​Is this a tolerable rental property?

Kai G.
  • Lee, NH
Posted Aug 23 2016, 13:16

I just became a first time landlord, and I'm wondering what you guys think (I posted most of this in new member intros, but at the speed the forum moves I think posts get only looked at by a few locals, so I hope it's okay to repost this here.)

The property is a 1br condo in NoVA (northern VA) that we bought since my wife was working down there, but she now found a job nearby (in NH). We didn't buy it with renting it out in mind, but since we've already got it, we're giving it a shot.

We bought it ~ a year ago for $179k, with a $120k 5/5 ARM currently at 2.75%. We just put $2500 and some sweat equity worth of upgrades / repairs into it, so it's in pretty good shape but kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity are still outdated.

We now found what we believe to be a quality tenant on a 1 year lease at $1295/month. The expenses we know for sure are $283 HOA fee, $161 property tax, $14 insurance, $480 mortgage = $938 total.

That would be $357 cash flow, well, except I didn't account for vacancies, repairs/updates and property management, and if I do that, I end up at about zero. OTOH, the mortgage payment includes $200 principal, which isn't really a cost (though it still goes into cashflow).

Our plan for now is to manage the property remotely from NH -- we've lived in the unit ourselves for two years and didn't have any issues at all, and we just put in a new dishwasher and water heater, so we don't expect too much to happen, but well, I guess we'll see about that... This being a condo, the sizable condo fees should at least take care of bigger issues in the long run like roof / exterior, so we're mostly expecting the occasional appliance/AC problem only.

We're hoping to time turnover to be in the summer, where we can combine fixing things up and showing the place with a little vacation for ourselves, so we can actually get some benefit from the vacancy.

In summary, I think the numbers don't look great compared to what a real investment should bring -- part of the reason being that a relatively large amount of money is tied up in it -- but I think it looks like we should at least break even and I'm actually hoping to make some money off of it in the long run, and gain some experience to get into some real buy-and-hold investing.

Loading replies...