Votes
Esther Thomas
  • Belmont, CA
Votes |
Need some experienced help here

Esther Thomas
  • Belmont, CA
Posted Aug 24 2016, 22:44

Hi Everyone, I need help, I don't know where to begin with my questions so I'll start with my top  pressing scenarios I need to help resolve. Thanks in advance and feedback is much appreciated! 

Scenario 1: Roommate not on Lease - 

A rental unit where the guy on the lease semi recently acquired a roommate (roommate has a young daughter). The roommate is not on the lease at all. Original lease agreement clearly states no subleasing. Does having a roommate, is that considered subleasing? He collects her rent and pays it together. Besides holding her liable for damages, what other benefit or other reason should I have her officially on the lease as well? If she's on the lease and doesn't pay her half, is he not responsible for the roommates portion? How does it work with two separate adults on a lease for one unit as far as accountability? That was a lot of questions in one :)

Scenario 2: Utilities  - 

2 studios in a 4plex do not have their own electric/gas meter. The electric/gas is paid by the landlord and covers the 2 studios + common area (laundry + pool). Lately the electric/gas bill has gone up 3Xs. Is there a way to write into the lease that electric/gas is to be split 3 ways? Anyone else in this situation and if so how do you go about handling the situation for utilities when there is no separate meter?

Scenario 3: Junk in common area - 

One tenant who has been a tenant for 20+ years, has overrun the 4plex with all his crap, including a hot tub! 1. How do I stop the proliferation of junk in the common area (does this get written into the lease) and any tactful way to get him to remove the stuff he has such as the hot tub!

Other random questions, do any landlords here charge extra for pets? Somehow folks have cats and are not suppose to have pets. I don't know if verbally at some point my parents said cats were okay, but can a monthly pet fee be charged, is that common?

I'm seeking help and wisdom of the landlords on this forum. Thanks again!

Loading replies...