Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nick Brubaker
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Help!! After signing the lease tenant is attempting to back out!

Nick Brubaker
  • Decatur, GA
Posted Aug 27 2016, 14:58

Hi everyone,

Let me start by clarifying that I am inexperienced and this is my first attempt at finding a tenant for my first SFH. That said, please don't assume I am acting foolishly either - I have been very careful in these early stages of starting my business.

I have finally found a tenant for my first property.  She currently lives in California, but will be moving here to Georgia at the beginning of October to start work at one of the major animal research centers here.  The only reason I entertained her application at this point was that she was agreeing to pay rent for September as well, because she really liked the house.  

Anyway, after working with her for almost a week she finally signed the lease agreement on Docusign yesterday.  She has not yet maid any payment - was going to pay the security deposit through eRentPayment today.  Suddenly (and suspiciously) though her job offer is no longer certain apparently and she is stating that she will not be renting the house.  

My Lease Agreement is quite thorough (13 pages) and does not allow someone to back out in such a way.  

I told her already that the lease is binding and that only made things worse and she is now "formally intent on not renting the house".  

What do you all suggest I do?  I should add that I am really not looking forward to the idea of showing the house again and searching for quality tenants, it has taken me a very long time so far.  I also don't know how much I can stomach any kind of legal battle.  

Loading replies...